Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb The argument against Long URLs

Don't bother using Long URLs.

tl;dr:

There has been a discussion around the doubtful usage of Long URLs as they appear to have no SEO benefit and appear totally cosmetic in nature: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...262#post641262

Try using emojis instead! Only kidding.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 20 September 2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Meant spinal-case, c.f., snake_case
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: The argument against Long URLs

on a personal note - what do you think is a good max for a url - i think a twitter handle is limited to around 15 characters, that would seem about right to me provided it has that memorable 'ring' to it that makes it memorable....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    on a personal note - what do you think is a good max for a url - i think a twitter handle is limited to around 15 characters, that would seem about right to me provided it has that memorable 'ring' to it that makes it memorable....
    Newsprint headings always used to be max 25 letters.

In a website, you can exceed this with nesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment_and_arts, with the last getting close to my buffer limit being 22 characters.
    Google treat hyphens (spinal-case) as word separators while the BBC (& Wikipedia) underscores (snake_case) are not so a search you would think might fall over, albeit rescued by the page title and other content.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Newsprint headings always used to be max 25 letters.
    there's a memory....

I was just thinking about the TLD URL

Google treat hyphens (spinal-case) as word separators while the BBC (& Wikipedia) underscores (snake_case) are not so a search you would think might fall over, albeit rescued by the page title and other content
    that's interesting...
    Nothing lasts forever...

there's a memory....
    I was just thinking about the TLD URL
    that's interesting...
    TLDs, the shorter, the sweeter unless you can achieve a semantic meaning or discord: www.forensic.accountants, which is available today. As is www.caseyjones.engineer and xxl.tube. Someone beat me to www.agnostic.church.

Acorn

thisisthewaytheworldends and notwithabangbutawimper both appear available.....

would putting hyphens in these, or shorter strings, make a difference ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

I wonder if this is why sometimes it is so hard to find a link to a current story in say the New York Times when doing a search.

thisisthewaytheworldends and notwithabangbutawimper both appear available.....
    would putting hyphens in these, or shorter strings, make a difference ?
    Google needs a separator to better understand your URLs' wording: this-is-the-way-the-world-ends.not_with_a_bang_but_a_wimper and notwithabangbutawimper would appear about the same to Google but not-with-a-bang-but-a-wimper would allow better search for bang and/or wimper and also let you find you meant not-with-a-bang-but-a-whimper all along.

The easiest way of putting it is your browser spell-checker will be highlighting the entire phrase or the underlined one but finds the words in the hyphenated one.

Acorn

thanks something for me to think about...
    Nothing lasts forever...

You know I agree totally Acorn.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host