Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    The hub and spoke analogy is perfect.
    or a good old fashioned library, the kind with shelves and an index catalogue... ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

I also want to incorporate a search facility. I remember you (#Acorn) recommending duckduckgo (see, I do remember what you said!) which you said could be tailored to incorporate specific websites. But possibly duckduckgo has changed its format in the last year? I think this is doable using other programs.
    DuckduckGo can still be used.

Create a small Placeholder and add to its Body:
    Code:
    <form method="get" id="ddgSearch" action="https://duckduckgo.com/">
        <input type="hidden" name="sites" value="http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="k7" value="#ffffff"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="k8" value="#222222"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="k9" value="#00278e"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="kx" value="#20692b"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="kj" value="#f8e71c"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="kt" value="o"/>
        <input type="text" name="q" placeholder="Search…" aria-label="Search http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/ on DuckDuckGo"/>
        <button type="submit">Search</button>
    </form>
    Build you own from: https://ddg.patdryburgh.com

Personally, with such a rich Site Map I would create a table of links with keywords & description and add that.
    This would not require a web search.
    It uses sorting and filtering so it returns as many pages for "red lion" as you care to shake a stick at.
    Search TG for "acorn datatables".

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    DuckduckGo can still be used.

Create a small Placeholder and add to its Body:
    Code:
    <form method="get" id="ddgSearch" action="https://duckduckgo.com/">
        <input type="hidden" name="sites" value="http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="k7" value="#ffffff"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="k8" value="#222222"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="k9" value="#00278e"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="kx" value="#20692b"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="kj" value="#f8e71c"/>
        <input type="hidden" name="kt" value="o"/>
        <input type="text" name="q" placeholder="Search…" aria-label="Search http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/ on DuckDuckGo"/>
        <button type="submit">Search</button>
    </form>
    Build you own from: https://ddg.patdryburgh.com

Personally, with such a rich Site Map I would create a table of links with keywords & description and add that.
    This would not require a web search.
    It uses sorting and filtering so it returns as many pages for "red lion" as you care to shake a stick at.
    Search TG for "acorn datatables".

Acorn
    That's good news! Thanks!
    The thing is I need to include hundreds of people's names and places and a search could throw up a few or dozens of references
    The search would be there for someone researching one individual, family or place. Or for me, having forgotten what I've written......

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    or a good old fashioned library, the kind with shelves and an index catalogue... ?
    Nah - more like a steel filing cabinet - or even a card box with loadsa cards or maybe cards in a ring holder.

What we really need is someone to invent a machine that 'thinks' with flashing lights and moveable parts - even if it fills a large factory unit - and then encourage people all over the world to buy/make similar machines that could sort of network together using, I dunno, telephone lines or something.

That's the future!

I have done this for our local artists website using a separate website/page for each of our 90 artists and it is faster and more convenient. Each of the artists galleries is a sub-directory. Sorry, I know this thread is way past this now.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have done this for our local artists website using a separate website/page for each of our 90 artists and it is faster and more convenient. Each of the artists galleries is a sub-directory. Sorry, I know this thread is way past this now.
    You've no idea how made-up I feel - knowing that YOU, GWP, have used this website construction (despite having other options at your fingertips which you've published).

Wow - simply WOW!

I don't build websites, but been using them since [almost] the birth of TLDs - I am a big fan of comparmentalisation when it comes to information

links out are good, but so many sites bleed out the info so you don't get the whole picture in one place and you have to go digging down rabbit holes; which can be interestng, but can be inefficient

it makes sense to me to have one site per category...

all of which is a long-winded way of saying I agree with Gary
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That's good news! Thanks!
    The thing is I need to include hundreds of people's names and places and a search could throw up a few or dozens of references
    The search would be there for someone researching one individual, family or place. Or for me, having forgotten what I've written......
    Philip, you are no fun.

I selected all of http://prestonherts.co.uk/almina.htm.
    I pasted into https://www.standoutessay.com/study-...mary-generator, and got:

A History of Preston in Hertfordshire Almina, Countess of Carnarvon at Temple Dinsley In 2011, William Cross published a book, The Life and Secrets of Almina Carnarvon. Alfred was Marie's entree into the higher echelons of Society and was extremely generous to her. Under his tutelage, she was presented to Queen Victoria and two months later at a Buckingham Palace State Ball, she caught the eye of her future husband the heir to the Earldom of Carnarvon. Alfred Rothchild brokered the marriage of Almina and the Earl she was attracted by his aristocratic connections and he, by her access to the Rothchild fortune. The young Almina successfully entertained the future King Edward VII at Highclere as she mastered her role as mistress of a country house and estate. Four months later and the Earl was dead the victim, some said, of the curse of King Tut and others, of a mosquito bite. The final verdict was a measly award to Dorothy of 472 in respect of a loan she had made to Ian. Several of Almina's friends severed their relationship and she squandered part of her inheritance to pay for the litigation. In April 1930, Almina and Ian travelled once more to Egypt, but this year saw the end of her involvement with Epyptology. The following year was uneventful for Almina: Alfred House continued to function, she bolstered her public image by attending several Society events in London and even leased a small house at Mayfair as her London base.
    You could pump that into the Web Properties > Page > Page description for SEO purposes.
    You could use it in a Description column in a searchable table.

Just saying.

Acorn

Using https://autosummarizer.com seems cleaner:

Almina was consolidating her reputation as a delicate beauty and loving mother. World War 1 and Almina’s first nursing home During the First World War, Almina re-invented herself as a Society lady who devoted herself to caring for the injured in combat – first, Highclere was transformed into a hospital; then, she moved on and opened a new hospital at Bryanston Square, London. In 1918, Alfred Rothschild died and left a substantial part of his vast estate to Almina.

Four days later, Dorothy wrote a letter in which she inferred that Almina and Ian had committed adultery when Lord Carnarvon was alive and demanded that Ian keep his financial promises to her, using Almina’s fortune.

The following year was uneventful for Almina: Alfred House continued to function, she bolstered her public image by attending several Society events in London and even leased a small house at Mayfair as her London base.

The burden of running Alfred House necessitated another sale at Christie’s and she also sold her interest in Alfred Rothschild’s £500,000 fund. The threat of German bombs during the Second World War, led to Alfred House being closed and then destroyed in 1940. Almina opened a small, new hospital at Hove, Sussex but this too was deemed to be in the firing line so she moved on to The Glebe, Barnet, Herts which became her latest nursing home.

It was ‘a fulfilling life when things went her way, especially when she was nursing’ but she ‘plunged herself into doomed situations and relationships....Money had a way of slipping through her fingers...She was strong-willed, resilient..delighting in surrounding herself with notable figures...mostly men, for she loved men...She had genuine feelings for some members of her family but was unable to commit to them beneath the surface...She was, despite her faults, a very great lady, a strong-willed old world aristocrat, a Countess through and through’.William Cross’ appraisal of Almina’s lifeAcknowledgement: this article has been distilled from William Cross’ book, ‘The Life and Secrets of Almina Carnarvon’.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You've no idea how made-up I feel - knowing that YOU, GWP, have used this website construction (despite having other options at your fingertips which you've published).
    I always seek the simplest solution. And considering what you are doing with a catalog of stories, it makes a world of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Philip, you are no fun....
    No fun huh!
    In the last few days you've casually dropped in a least a dozen sites you use to augment and help your expertise.
    I feel like I did when the scales dropped from my researcher's eyes when I thought Google Books and Internet Archive were all that I needed. Welcome to a big new world!
    How about listing, say, 100 of your fav go-to sites for fine-tuning websites.
    Heck, I'd settle for ten!
    Now that would be fun!
    (Only kidding. Seriously, your tool kit is amazing!)