Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I don't understand this statement at all.
    For example, a .xar design files article Header 1 (the title of the article) noted is, 'Scientists report mysterious giant skeletons have been unearthed in Black Mesa Basin Arizona."

So the subfolder in Articles subfolder will be named "giant-skeletons-unearthed-in-black-mesa-basin-arizona".

This will show in the URL as: bournejournal.org/Articles/giant-skeletons-unearthed-in-black-mesa-basin-arizona (instead of the ENTIRE article title).

www was taken out on purpose for this post.

I've made the subfolder name shorter to better fit the URL size. It's just a matter of preference for the appearance of the page and article.

It will also go in the Webproperties/Website/Title field. I may just have Bourne Journal, or the beginning words of the article without the hyphens . Either way, I do not want 'index' showing on the tab.

I hope that explains it.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 20 September 2021 at 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Either way, I do not want 'index' showing on the tab.
    Well that's easy to do as I've indicated and very desirable.

However I think I'll agree to disagree with you regarding url naming. url's are just 'phone numbers' to take you to a particular page, no need to complicate them for aesthetic reasons.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

However I think I'll agree to disagree with you regarding url naming. url's are just 'phone numbers' to take you to a particular page, no need to complicate them for aesthetic reasons.
    As you have probably noted I am a complicated person.

Thanks for your help as well.

As you have probably noted I am a complicated person
    And I'm glad I'm not your client Arch
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Excuse my sense of humour, probably comes from drinking too much warm beer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	130657  
    Egg

Thank you, Egg. I would like the 2nd one because it gives me more flair to everyone else reading who I am. Complicated.

Egg

Quote Originally Posted by ArchMed1 View Post
    As I mentioned, "it's all about the aesthetics of a reader visiting the site - relaying it is an actual professional journal website."

It has nothing to do with the mechanics of the website - just the appearance of the site as an actual, professional scientific journal. It's just frosting for appearance.
    if you want the advice of a 25 years + research user [not I'll admit builder] of websites do not get hung up on frosting the appearance

three things determine the professionalism of a website: content, content, content [to paraphrase someone else in another context ]

sure the appearence of the site has to be clear and the site structure has to be coherent and easy to use, SEO has to be right, but are your visitors really going to be in the slightest bit concernerd about how the URLs look ? - who are your target visitors btw

ask yourself the hard question - is it just for me I want it this way, will anyone else actually notice ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

drinking....warm beer
    and as we are talking aesthetics and taste, lets not get into a debate about whether it should have a head on it or not
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    - who are your target visitors btw - is it just for me I want it this way, will anyone else actually notice ?
    The target are professionals in the field of archaeology, professional debunkers (a well known organization of academics I have been communicating with regarding the project) and alternative historical and science fiction readers, of which the site serves as a marketing tool. Indeed. And all the rest.