Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

ArchMed1 commissioned me to build a website based on his source material.

We had a top-level site (Main & Variants) of around 8 pages.
    Additionally, he want to include Articles (Main & Variants) that are a long journal page with text and a fair number of images.
    These were all set up design file A01.xar through A40.xar upwards. As each was set as index.htm, they all need to be in sub-folders under the Articles sub-folder.
    So the delivered structure was:
    • Top-level - 8 x htm & index_htm_files folder
      • Articles
        • A01 - index.htm & index_htm_files folder
        • ---
        • A40 - index.htm & index_htm_files folder
        • ---

It was designed this way to avoid a gigantic design file and to make updating of Articles and adding new ones far easier.

All good and the delivery came in around 80+ design pages as at the time it was Main + Variant).
    ArchMed1 than was shown either how to Publish all from the XDA itself or by FTP (FileZilla).
    Job done.

ArchMed1 then decided, post-delivery and outwith our agreement, each Article URL needed to use the hyphen-separated Title instead.
    So for the Article "Pond haunted by Ghost", the A28.xar design file has Page filename instead of 'index' set as 'pond-haunted-by-ghost'.

The required structure now can be:

• Top-level - 8 x htm & index_htm_files folder
      • Articles
      • ---
      • alligator-eats-camera.htm & alligator-eats-camera_htm_files folder
      • bird-talks.htm & bird-talks_htm_files folder
      • pond-haunted-by-ghost.htm & pond-haunted-by-ghost_htm_files folder
      • ---

In doing so you lose a useful reference back to the design file for the gain of putting all the Articles and their supporting files into a single bucket of the Articles folder.
    ArchMed1 now only publishes to the top-level site and to the Articles subfolder for the remainder.
    Through the XDA this has to be set up for each design file at the start.

If required the Articles can still sit in their own sub-folder but the URL would then become:
    • (../Articles/)A26/alligator-eats-camera.htm & alligator-eats-camera_htm_files folder
    • (../Articles/)A27/bird-talks.htm & bird-talks_htm_files folder
    • (../Articles/)A28/pond-haunted-by-ghost.htm & pond-haunted-by-ghost_htm_files folder

If using FileZilla, you Export Websites to a root folder for the top-level and an Articles sub-folder for the rest.
    Then you transfer across to the server.

All previously explained with diagrams to him, many times with different scenarios explained.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I thought it was too complex for someone asking the questions ArchMed1 was asking. It was also very specific, as if the site existed, but the creator had suddenly walked away and left ArchMed1 holding the baby.

Glad there's someone steering the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I thought it was too complex for someone asking the questions ArchMed1 was asking. It was also very specific, as if the site existed, but the creator had suddenly walked away and left ArchMed1 holding the baby. Glad there's someone steering the boat.
    The "creator" did walk away after leaving enough nappies, clothes, instructions and baby milk for a long time. The baby-holder then decided the baby's gender needs to be altered requiring a clothes change, but that was their choice as "Mother knows best."

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Pfft, babies and their genders, whatever next?

Without being bland, there were significant things that were not complete that would be a 'common expectation' for a complete site that I have gone ahead and completed and in fact redesigned for the better. The top site home page has been redesigned to a better result, complete with slider for selected articles. The pages were also improved, including 1 mobile variant that was added and completed by yours truly for ALL pages and a medium variant that was anything but standardized to 'commissioned delivery' that had to be adjusted as well'.

Yes, not bad for a beginner. Fixing a many years experienced workman's work with a company in Dorset. Wait till you see the site.

And please recall @Acorn, you did call yourself a weird old Brit making a bunch of websites. I have the email.

Instructions would be simple if the person taking the diagrams and all else were versed in the Xara software, which I am not. This top level pages and subfolders I have never come across before, as I have used SERIF for may years and published down single project websites, not nothing like this. As it stands, the layout I am beginning to realize as Acorn mentioned it should be but I do not speak extreme Xaraese. I do not have the experience with Filezilla, custom index files work and what have you that was daffly explained in @Acorns emails, which are now beginning to make sense after reading the forums. So the forums help out the novice immensely. Thumbs up.

I can publish down the .xars into the Articles folder, no issue, once I have the detailed view of what I am doing and how to set the WebProperties/ Website vs Page vs Publish dialogue settings set, not to mention how the .xar should be presented at time of publish. What is so hard about that for a novice? Links and all I can readjust. Took me a day to get the basics of the software, and a few weeks to get moving on it without interruption.

With version samples that you, yourself @Acorn, have tested and found to be working properly, with the exception of Safari I believe, which you said you did not have a module for. Oops! There is another one of your emails again I have.

@Acorn - thank you for your assistance now, your commission was and is ended for my benefit and nothing more. You received the fairest of compensation. I'll take it from here, thank you.

Now, I'll do a little work and get studying more of these forum posts and Acorn's past publishing instructions, as I have been reading without a translation dictionary, so if anyone would like to weigh in even with a PM I'll take it. I will have this site up and running regardless. But there have been disappointments.

I'll come back after I review some notes for straight instructions to get this out and done. The content is ready. Share buttons are pending (my preferred style). The subfolders are waiting.

Thank you, all.

If there is curiosity, here is the concept provided by Mr. A to me by email. The site is already in content and assets, and complete. 3 variants (Main, Tablet and Mobile). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INDEX.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	130636

All that was needed and the purpose of my posts was to get the detailed instructions to get the site set up (I was going to use Xara, not Filezilla) and to reflect on the address bar of the browser the article name. As each article is in itself a website with an index. Replace the 'feature' with 'articles' in the address and this is what I want to set up for in the end result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	address.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	130639
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 18 September 2021 at 01:00 AM. Reason: add more info

I, personally, think one of the hardest things to do is to 'take on' someone else's work. Add to that having to learn new software and ask for help in a second language...well done, you have my admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I, personally, think one of the hardest things to do is to 'take on' someone else's work. Add to that having to learn new software and ask for help in a second language...well done, you have my admiration.
    Many thanks, Chris M. Now all I need is the answer.

Actually, Egg's scenario is similar to mine as he has the Prop#- and the video did not quite answer the question on how the subfolder files showed up as they did in the address bar and how the web site properties/page properties were set to accomplish what he did, in simple terms. This is what I am waiting for.

It's not a problem to do the task, I need to know HOW to do it. I can do it myself.

Another sample of the idea was demonstrated by this link found in the Xone workbook posted a few areas of this forum:

http://www.gwpriester.com/kitchen/index.html
    http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...kbook%201.html

September in itself is a website, off of the main site, like each of these articles will be in the Articles folder. If you nav through the navigation bar of this kitchen project you will see September is a subsite.

Egg's video is better. I would have loved to see how the Prop# pages were set in the folders. And how they were published down. As you can see, no settings steps are set in any tutorials I can find.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 18 September 2021 at 02:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Actually, Egg's scenario is similar to mine as he has the Prop#- and the video did not quite answer the question on how the subfolder files showed up as they did in the address bar and how the web site properties/page properties were set to accomplish what he did, in simple terms. This is what I am waiting for.
    I'm sorry Arch, I just don't understand the question. You create a base website. Below that you create article sub-sites. Acorns diagram explains it fully.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Exclamation Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Quote Originally Posted by ArchMed1 View Post
    If there is curiosity, here is the concept provided by Mr. A to me by email. The site is already in content and assets, and complete. 3 variants (Main, Tablet and Mobile). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INDEX.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	130636
    @ArchMed1
    This is the email context immediately preceding the diagram:

Site Integration
    We will have the main site and a clutch of Articles.
    The Article as [sic] effectively one-page sites.
    Each Article's access is to its index.htm file.
    As you cannot have more than one in a folder, we have to place the Articles in separate folders.
    For easy reference, we call each A01, A02, ...
    When you link from the main site to any Article, the Link path is straightforward: e.g., Articles/A25/index.htm.
    The backlinks to the main site are part of the Articles Template and are basically, go up one folder level (../), go up another (..) and reference the required page: e.g., ../../staff.htm.
    We can add Anchors to main and Article locations and the Link gains an anchor extension e.g., ../../staff.htm#CEO. From within the main site we use Xara's Link to anchor: CEO. Anchors can be Heading Styles. If we have these, you could automatically create a Table of Contents.
    After delivery, you chose to include a 480px Mobile Variant and change all Article filenames to snake-case Titles.
    Within your Warranty period, I provided technical advice on how to implement these out-of-scope changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchMed1 View Post
    Without being bland, there were significant things that were not complete that would be a 'common expectation' for a complete site that I have gone ahead and completed and in fact redesigned for the better. The top site home page has been redesigned to a better result, complete with slider for selected articles. The pages were also improved, including 1 mobile variant that was added and completed by yours truly for ALL pages and a medium variant that was anything but standardized to 'commissioned delivery' that had to be adjusted as well'.

Yes, not bad for a beginner. Fixing a many years experienced workman's work with a company in Dorset. Wait till you see the site.

And please recall @Acorn, you did call yourself a weird old Brit making a bunch of websites. I have the email.
    @ArchMed1

• There were no "significant things" incomplete.
    • There was no "common expectation"; there was a contract. "I have the email."
    • I did not "call yourself a weird old Brit making a bunch of websites. I have the email."
      • I stated "Besides, you can always tell your friends you got 32 websites for only $1,000 from this weird Brit."
      • You are ageist.
      • The only "bunch of websites" was your Articles, each of which was reworked from variable sources a minimum of eight times, involving exporting and testing every time.
      • You got support from 14 March to 01 July 2021 for a "one month" project of 25-hours costed effort, on which I spent closer to 100 hours and 100 emails.

I feel you need to reflect on what you are choosing to assert.
    Do take up any issues with me personally.

Acorn