Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ArchMed1 - I am glad you are not my client.
    Thank you, gwpriester. But the job gets done. While I would prefer not to be anyone's client, these forums help out to be on your own invaluably.

So they are appreciated.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 19 September 2021 at 09:39 PM. Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by ArchMed1 View Post
    @Chris M - So when the individual article folders are created on the server a '/' will be needed in front of the folder name like you showed here (/egg).

Example: "/mars-attacks-paris" AND NOT "mars-attacks-paris". For the folder name.

Or are the hyphens generated on publication so I can name the folders...

Example: '/mars attacks paris'

Which is correct, please?
    No, the hyphens are not generated automatically. If you leave spaces in your folder/filenames you will end up with 'mars%20attacks%20paris'.
    In this instance, the forward slash / denotes a sub folder and they ARE automatically added. You would name your folders space-wars and mars-attacks-paris. The URL would be space-wars/mars-attacks-paris

Play around yourself with a small test site, it's the best way to learn.

Thank you, Egg. Pull up any news magazine and select any articles to read and the URL looks just like how I showed it. It's aesthetics for the faux of a professional news magazine. I would post some magazine examples but they are not mine and I would not want to violate any rules of the forum.
    No it doesn't and why would you need it to show a long url? The page url is shown in the browsers url window which is often not full browser width depending on the viewers personal settings.

In the attachment below I give three examples of the near usefullness of creating meaningful url's as opposed to Acorns method of using an article number.

If you think it helps in your SEO ranking this is of very little importance either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export2.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	130654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	130653  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Play around yourself with a small test site, it's the best way to learn.
    @Chris M: Thank you again. You saved me a major error. With all this gracious information I should be ready to start the publish in a week, after adjustments to the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    In the attachment below I give three examples of the near usefullness of creating meaningful url's as opposed to Acorns method of using an article number.

If you think it helps in your SEO ranking this is of very little importance either.
    @Egg - here are three professional magazines of the type I am emulating with this website. A faux university archaeological journal. You find they all use the method I am using for the URLs. But keep in mind, I have created a shortened text from the Header 1 fields in the article for the subfolder to keep it smaller on the URL but consistent with the nature of the article.

I did not believe it had anything to do with SEO - it's all about the aesthetics of a reader visiting the site - relaying it is an actual professional journal website.

I agree it would be easier to use the original method of using Articles/A26, Articles/A22, etc., but it's about the presentation, and when I visit any other site, this would glare out at me in an instant. So does a home page or article page that has "index" as the page's title. Some will noticed it right away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mags 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	130655
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 19 September 2021 at 10:53 PM. Reason: details

Yes Arch you supply examples but what is the worth/value of such url's?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Yes Arch you supply examples but what is the worth/value of such url's?
    As I mentioned, "it's all about the aesthetics of a reader visiting the site - relaying it is an actual professional journal website."

It has nothing to do with the mechanics of the website - just the appearance of the site as an actual, professional scientific journal. It's just frosting for appearance.

Yes you supplied the url's but you don't explain their value.

As I pointed out often the browser url window is not full width, so long url's are meaningless, so where does 'the aesthetics of a reader visiting the site' come into play if it's not visible in it's entirety?

I agree it would be easier to use the original method of using Articles/A26, Articles/A22, etc., but it's about the presentation, and when I visit any other site, this would glare out at me in an instant.
    So my example of the BBC website page using https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58616727 as a url is unprofessional, really?

So does a home page or article page that has "index" as the page's title. Some will noticed it right away.
    Indeed that's why the page can have a page filename as well as a page title:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	130656  
    Egg

I cannot explain it any better. The magazines I am emulating use this URL method and their naming of the folders which I am not going to do. I'm shortening my article Header 1 article titles to name the subfolders so it makes the names smaller so they fit the URL entirely. It's just appearance and the look of the entire page, like having all T's and I's crossed for this type of publication, Egg.

Like these American news publications:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/19/gabby-...rida-cops-say/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u...-home-n1279537

If the BBC wants to do it their way, fine, the US drinks beer cold and the UK drinks theirs warm, except for lager, am I right?

But thanks for the Webproperties thumbnail. I can definitely use this.

You're missing my point entirely Arch. Why use long url's? The two examples above do not completely fit into my browser's url window, they are cut off. They will be cut down in length dependant on the visitors browser, browser setting and the number of plug-ins they have installed etc etc etc. You have no control over this.

Even more so the browser tabs content which shows either:

Us clos
    or
    US closes part of Tex
    dependant on the number of tabs I have open.

So if the complete url isn't shown in the browser nor in the page tab what is your fixation with long url's. They don't even render full length within Google searchs. They have little influence on SEO.

I'm shortening my article Header 1 article titles to name the subfolders so it makes the names smaller so they fit the URL entirely.
    I don't understand this statement at all.
    Egg