Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Yes, indeed.

Distance is always an issue when dealing with persons personally. As yet, the suggestion is unproductive.

Now, onto business.

I'm reading these notes throughout the day. But I will later post an email that was to explained but the procedure left undefined if needed.

Here is the Question. Remember, we are a beginner in subfolder publishing here....

What step by step procedure do you do to accomplish turning the A35 .xar into the URL below? I will use the Xara for the download.

What would be the settings when this article .xar (A35) is published to the Articles folder the Publish Details tab?

Do the settings need to be different that was what delivered here (in WebProperties/Website and Webproperties/Page Tab)?

Do you publish down the A35.xar in Publish Details as is to create the folder needed?

Does the A35.xar have to be changed in name BEFORE publishing to the Articles folder, or AFTER (I would guess before) so it says on the URL when published:
    https://bourneuniversity.org/Article...toqqortoornit/ (see sample)

When is the folder name changed to reflect this URL (instead of it publishing as is and showing up as www.bourne/Articles/A35....?)

Of course, the links have to be changed on the Main Home Page that leads to the articles. No problem there.

Here is what was delivered for A35 Website and Page Properties.

Give me the step by step instruction on how to turn this A35 folder to end up as the URL noted and we go for gold, including settings. How simple!

Each article is a single website, published into the Articles folder. There is one .xar per article. So there are 40 .xars individually to be published into the Articles folder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A35 Web and Page Settings.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	130643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A35 Publish Tab.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	130644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrr x.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	130645
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 18 September 2021 at 04:10 PM. Reason: detail question

Info Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

@ArchMed1, the email I sent you on 13 June 2021 totally explained the two approaches you seemed adamant on going for.

The first approach that I presented:

Attribute Value
    Design Filename GREEN TKAI 2-A35.xar
    Heading 1 (H1) article title GREENLAND: MORE PREHISTORIC RUINS UNEARTHED NEAR ITTOQQORTOORNIIT
    Website (and default Page) Title (Meta) © Bourne University - GREEN TKAI 2
    Page filename index.htm

When published to sub-folder Articles/greenland-more-prehistoric-ruins-unearthed-near-Ittoqqortoornit/, you get:
    Attribute Value
    URL / Address / Path https://bourneuniversity.org/Article...rnit/index.htm
    Browser Title (from Meta) © Bourne University - GREENLAND: MORE PREHISTORIC RUINS UNEARTHED NEAR ITTOQQORTOORNIIT
    Most servers will resolve https://bourneuniversity.org/Article...toqqortoornit/ alone properly. You need to check that your service provider's default is index.htm and not index.html.

All this is doing for you is renaming the A35 folder to greenland-more-prehistoric-ruins-unearthed-near-Ittoqqortoornit; where you take the Heading 1 Article Title and snake-case that, omitting the copyright, as you advised you now required.

The second approach that I presented:
    • Your Image 1 Left is unchanged
    • Your Image 1 Right would have the Page filename set to greenland-more-prehistoric-ruins-unearthed-near-Ittoqqortoornit
    • Your Image 2 has the sub-folder (optional) box include: Articles
    • Your Image 4 would then resolve to https://bourneuniversity.org/Article...qortoornit.htm

All of this is fully documented in the email along with an image of the Other web host settings for GoDaddy.
    I also went to the pain of describing the mechanism for FileZilla as you had made no decision well after delivery.

When you establish the approach you want, you then need to rework all the linkages from the top-level site to the Articles.

In summary, you have always had the appropriate information available. Your uncertainty has arisen through you again changing your mind or being undecided at to what approach you want.
    You chose not to ever publish and check what was delivered. I believe you never even exported all the design files to a local folder to check linkages.
    I did both, repeatedly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Seem's to me that you're working for free again on the forum Acorn even though you've met your contract agreement.

Arch, why would you want a url as long as:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	130646  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Two points of warning.
    1) I did not know Acorn had anything to do with the site. Acorn is highly respected on TG and, trust me when I say, his advice would be far better than my guess.
    2) I find it hard to understand what you are specifically trying to say. I believe English is not your first language, and I mean no disrespect in that statement. Test everything before changing your live site.

Using a site I have as an example, I think you are asking...

Main site - auzlink.net.au
    Sub site - player/hs

Name:	Publish.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	130647

My published files would go into a sub folder named 'players' and a sub sub folder named 'hs'. I can name these folders anything I like.
    I actually use the page in an iframe, but the URL looks like this...

Name:	URL.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	130648

Note the tab name is 'index'. To change that you need to add a Page Name

Name:	Publish2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	130649

Which makes the browser tab

Name:	URL2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	130650

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Seem's to me that you're working for free again on the forum Acorn even though you've met your contract agreement.

Arch, why would you want a url as long as:
    Thank you, Egg. Pull up any news magazine and select any articles to read and the URL looks just like how I showed it. It's aesthetics for the faux of a professional news magazine. I would post some magazine examples but they are not mine and I would not want to violate any rules of the forum.

A news magazine or site would say like www.abcdnews.com/planet-mars-attacks-paris/, and not www.abcdnews.com/Articles/M22. Just saying.

I did find a forum post that not only had your Subsite Video Tutorial but also your .xars for both Davora and the Properties subsite here:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...e-please/page2

I do not know why the keywords did not work to find these later articles through the forum Search function so I researched through Google today and I found more posts on this site using this function.

Acorn is in no way obligated to post on this subject in the forum. Our biz is concluded.

I also found a post regarding the same question I had regarding subfolder creation on the server, as I thought:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...te-PLEASE-help

It answered some questions.

@ Chris M - this is what the doctor ordered. I can study these and the notes from a previously engaged contractor, along with these recently discovered posts and I have what I am looking for. Yes, my English is good. I think I am just putting more pressured thought into this causing some 'failures to communicate'.

Q: Now if each article has to have an index, as it is in itself a 'website' (one .xar per one article per one subfolder within Articles) does naming the folder where the .xar is published to the name of the article in Header 1 "Mars Attacks Paris" get the URL "www.bourneuniversity/Articles/mars-attacks-paris? Yes?

The name of the WebProperties Page filename is now 'index' in all 40 .xars I have. This has to remain, since each .xar is an individual single page website in it's own folder. If I am wrong, please say.

This is where I was lost. I was thinking I had to change the .xar design file's name itself to the article's Header 1 title to get the URL desired. But not so.

I have to create all 40 subfolders within the Articles subsite folder on the server so all the .xars can be published into each folder separately. Links must reflect the new folder name on the Main home pages with thumbnail images that link to each article in the Articles subsite.

Target in site.

Thank you for your attention. I'll proceed and if any questions come, I'll post, of course. Respected or not.
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 19 September 2021 at 03:18 AM. Reason: add more info

Another tripping point may be the terminology being used.

The .xar (or .web) is the working/project file and the naming of it has nothing to do with URLs or publishing. Example 'Double Pickled Pickles'.xar

The index.htm can, but shouldn't, be renamed. All browsers see index.htm as the root and don't display it. Example - mysite.com/index.htm will have a URL display of mysite.com. Consequently, any sub folders will display in the same way.

mysite.com/pickles (folder)/pickled-cucumber-in-radish-sauce (folder) will house index.htm (file) and index_htm_files (folder) and the URL display will be - mysite.com/pickles/pickled-cucumber-in-radish-sauce/
    mysite.com/pickles (folder)/egg (folder) will also house index.htm (file) and index_htm_files (folder) - URL display mysite.com/pickles/egg/

Name:	Folders.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	130651

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Another tripping point may be the terminology being used.
    Many thanks. I did my best to get the terminology right, just like you are saying. I see I dropped the ball a few times. But this explains everything I needed to know, especially this last post.

@Chris M - So when the individual article folders are created on the server a '/' will be needed in front of the folder name like you showed here (/egg).

Example: "/mars-attacks-paris" AND NOT "mars-attacks-paris". For the folder name.

Or are the hyphens generated on publication so I can name the folders...

Example: '/mars attacks paris'

Which is correct, please?

ArchMed1 - I am glad you are not my client.