Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default creating sub-folders in Xara

Arch-Med1 recently asked me in a PM the following question leading from a video I did re sub-folders.

Good Day Sir,

I am doing the very same thing your Sub-Site Youtube video shows and I found it very informative.

If I may ask, for the sub-site pages, how were the Web Properties and Page Properties entries set up on each page, and how was the Publish To Web (I would be using the Xara publisher and my own host) set up when the Subfolders were published to when an individual page had to be published to the folder?

Was the .xar file published to a folder in the "Properties" subfolder, into an existing folder saying "Prop 1", or was the .xar document named "Prop 1" and the folder was created in the "Properties" sub folder?

Thank you.

Arch-Med1.
    I've informed him PM's are not the best way forward. If I answer him on a PM only he may glean some knowledge and it's far better to post on the TG Forum where others may also be able to benifit from the answer.

I'm not 100% sure of his question but perhaps a couple of screen grabs of the Xara publish option may help.

P.S. Can a mod move this to the correct forum please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	130620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	130621  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Moved.

Thank you Egg.

The complication with your screenshots is they both show .XARs loaded in them.
    This will confuse @ArchMed1 as design files do not need to be published only retained safely.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I had a teacher once who responded to a question I asked that applied to the whole class and said, I would rather tell 30 people one time than tell one person 30 times.

The complication with your screenshots is they both show .XARs loaded in them.
    This will confuse @ArchMed1 as design files do not need to be published only retained safely.
    Agreed Acorn, I don't normally upload the xar files to my server, just keep them on my local PC.

I had a teacher once who responded to a question I asked that applied to the whole class and said, I would rather tell 30 people one time than tell one person 30 times.
    Indeed Gary!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Since the video has been posted on the forum as a link I saw no issue in snipping a frame and showing the nature of my request.

I was interested in seeing how Mr. Bramhill set up the Web and Page properties for the .web or .xar on the Properties page, and how he set up the web host settings (without revealing his personal info of course) for the publication of the sub folders to his domain. I was interested in how the fields in these boxes were setup. I made no request for a .xar file.

I would not be interested in seeing anyone's personal .xar, but a snip on how it was accomplished without the personal details. All part of the learning experience. Mr. Bramhill's video does not go into detail about this part of the procedure.

One link that was supposed to go into detail on this in a previous post is not available on the web anymore. The Xone workbook details the concept, but not the actual settings on how it would be accomplished. They are not included in the documentation.

Note that some users on this forum have not used the software for years as many of the moderators have. There is a learning curve, thank you. And from the reads on some of these forums several have been on here for quite some time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export3a.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	130622

Mr. Bramhill's video does not go into detail about this part of the procedure.
    Perhaps that's my failing Arch but I did believe I explained it in some depth on the video, to the best of my abillity.

Basically you create two websites in Xara, publish one to your servers root folder and publish the second site to a sub-directory below that. You create your navigation menu to switch between the two.
    Egg