Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default creating sub-folders in Xara

Arch-Med1 recently asked me in a PM the following question leading from a video I did re sub-folders.

Good Day Sir,

I am doing the very same thing your Sub-Site Youtube video shows and I found it very informative.

If I may ask, for the sub-site pages, how were the Web Properties and Page Properties entries set up on each page, and how was the Publish To Web (I would be using the Xara publisher and my own host) set up when the Subfolders were published to when an individual page had to be published to the folder?

Was the .xar file published to a folder in the "Properties" subfolder, into an existing folder saying "Prop 1", or was the .xar document named "Prop 1" and the folder was created in the "Properties" sub folder?

Thank you.

Arch-Med1.
    I've informed him PM's are not the best way forward. If I answer him on a PM only he may glean some knowledge and it's far better to post on the TG Forum where others may also be able to benifit from the answer.

I'm not 100% sure of his question but perhaps a couple of screen grabs of the Xara publish option may help.

P.S. Can a mod move this to the correct forum please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	130620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	130621  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Moved.

Thank you Egg.

The complication with your screenshots is they both show .XARs loaded in them.
    This will confuse @ArchMed1 as design files do not need to be published only retained safely.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I had a teacher once who responded to a question I asked that applied to the whole class and said, I would rather tell 30 people one time than tell one person 30 times.

The complication with your screenshots is they both show .XARs loaded in them.
    This will confuse @ArchMed1 as design files do not need to be published only retained safely.
    Agreed Acorn, I don't normally upload the xar files to my server, just keep them on my local PC.

I had a teacher once who responded to a question I asked that applied to the whole class and said, I would rather tell 30 people one time than tell one person 30 times.
    Indeed Gary!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Since the video has been posted on the forum as a link I saw no issue in snipping a frame and showing the nature of my request.

I was interested in seeing how Mr. Bramhill set up the Web and Page properties for the .web or .xar on the Properties page, and how he set up the web host settings (without revealing his personal info of course) for the publication of the sub folders to his domain. I was interested in how the fields in these boxes were setup. I made no request for a .xar file.

I would not be interested in seeing anyone's personal .xar, but a snip on how it was accomplished without the personal details. All part of the learning experience. Mr. Bramhill's video does not go into detail about this part of the procedure.

One link that was supposed to go into detail on this in a previous post is not available on the web anymore. The Xone workbook details the concept, but not the actual settings on how it would be accomplished. They are not included in the documentation.

Note that some users on this forum have not used the software for years as many of the moderators have. There is a learning curve, thank you. And from the reads on some of these forums several have been on here for quite some time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export3a.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	130622

Mr. Bramhill's video does not go into detail about this part of the procedure.
    Perhaps that's my failing Arch but I did believe I explained it in some depth on the video, to the best of my abillity.

Basically you create two websites in Xara, publish one to your servers root folder and publish the second site to a sub-directory below that. You create your navigation menu to switch between the two.
    Egg

OK, Mr. Bramhill, thank you. New inquiry:

For the Davora Site...a snip please as you did before (very helpful here):

On two of the subfolder pages Prop#1-Prop#2 (I would ask to see two-the Prop#1 index and Prop#2) what was entered on the Web Properties tab and Page Properties tab for any of the pages named (Prop#1-Prop#2)? If I may...

Name:	page x.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	130624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page 1 x 2.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	130625
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page 1.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	130623  
    Last edited by ArchMed1; 17 September 2021 at 02:36 AM. Reason: detail question

Egg is quite likely asleep now, but when I make sub sites I leave the Website Name blank as it's part of the main website.
    The Page File Name should remain as 'index', but the page title can be anything descriptive you like.

@Egg - I would still like the referenced images when you come back to the forum.

@Chris - Combined with information I received about the sub-folders previously by email from Acorn I believe now I am beginning to see the light. It just takes a bit to absorb the forgone material without being a little overwhelmed by the complexity of the project. This process was explained in detail, it just took a little to shower some light.

The concern was my Articles subfolder will contain all the faux science articles on the website, with a connected project file of (root) home/about/contact/issues/news/staff that serves as the main site. The Article subfolder will be designated on the Publish tab. I knew this.

What I did not know is when, for example, I publish A26.xar project page file to the Articles subfolder, in the 'subfolder (optional) field, do I put 'Articles/A26, so 'A26' creates a folder in the Articles subfolder? Is this how it is done? Then the next .xar project page file published would be "Articles/A27", then "Articles/A28" and so on until all the articles are published into the Articles folder?

Each .xar project page file is a one page article only. So A26 is a one page .xar file. There are about 40 of them.

Or do I create a folder when publishing to the Article folder in the subfolder field, for example - the A26 article's H1 Heading title is "Alligator Eats Camera", in the Publish tab subfolder field at the time of publishing do I put "Articles/Alligator Eats Camera/" so it shows in the URL as 'www,mysite.com/Articles/alligator-eats-camera/ and that folder is created in the Articles subfolder on the server?

More here:

A26 www.mysite.com/Articles/alligator-eats-camera/,
    A27 www.mysite.com/Articles/bird-talks/,
    A28 is www.mysite.com/Articles/pond-haunted-by-ghost/

Of course, as mentioned, all the links on the main and subsequent pages there are links to the articles would have to be changed as this one example from "Articles/A26/index.htm" to "Articles/alligator-eats-camera/". "Articles/A26/index.htm" is how the files and links are now set up for housekeeping.

At this point the Web Properties/Webpage Title field with "C Bourne Journal - Ireland' will NOT show up in any of this, as the URL is grabbed from the file folder and not the .xar itself.

The Web Properties/Page Filename field is populated by 'index", as each page is in itself a small website. Is this correct?

Name:	publish to 4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	130627

Going to be honest and say that I'm not following this at all. Can you clarify a couple of points as I'm not sure if you need sub folders at all?
    Are 'alligator-eats-camera', 'bird-talks' and 'pond-haunted-by-ghosts' each a single page? I understand there's a lot more, but will they all be single page?