Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Lightbulb Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

It is useful to keep a Thread such as this open to encourage debate and ideas.

I took one of ArchMed1 reference organisations, the Smithsonian Institution, and picked out an Article at random: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...950-180978701/:
    • It is an article in the Smithsonian Institution's Magazine (SIM).
    • All the Sections of the SIM have typically short URLs with lowercased words separated by hyphens, spine-case. Absolutely bog-standard.
    • Only the Articles have long URLs.
    • Only in the Articles can you navigate to the bottom of the page; the Sections all have infinity scrolling so new content is always fetched as you near the bottom.
    • No page has a Search.
    • An external Google Search for 'smithsonianmag coral reefs' returns 7 potential hits for the link above. You get a single hit if you include just the UID as in 'mag 180978701'.
      • None show the full URL.

In examining this linked Article, no explicit citations were listed.
    I extracted all the internal links:

SI itself states:
    Smithsonian magazine places a Smithsonian lens on the world, looking at the topics and subject matters researched, studied and exhibited by the Smithsonian Institution—science, history, art, popular culture and innovation—and chronicling them every day for our diverse readership.
    It is in no way intended for professional archaeologists or researchers; it is the SI's 'Reader's Digest', (which still can't be bothered to correct its misplaced apostrophe).
    Professionals reference peer-reviewed articles in learned journal that require citations through the International DOI Foundation (IDF): https://www.doi.org, following ISO 23624. Links are of style, https://doi.org/10.1109/5.771073. This is a short URL and doi is one of the few I would ever trust.

The SIM is hiding, not liberating, information.
    Even TG with the link to this Thread, https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...olders-in-Xara, can be abridged to https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?85560 and still work.
    You cannot do this with Articles in the SIM.

Instead, try a Google Scholar Search for 'coral reefs'. Very, very few are long URLs.

Acorn

For those interested in checking the Links on a page, I used https://towardsdatascience.com/quick...e-49bb6f48127b (actually, https://towardsdatascience.com/49bb6f48127b):

You open the browser > developer Tools (F12) > console and paste in:

Code:
    var x = document.querySelectorAll("a");
    var myarray = []
    for (var i=0; i<x.length; i++){
    var nametext = x[i].textContent;
    var cleantext = nametext.replace(/\s+/g, ' ').trim();
    var cleanlink = x[i].href;
    myarray.push([cleantext,cleanlink]);
    };
    function make_table() {
        var table = '<table><thead><th>Name</th><th>Links</th></thead><tbody>';
       for (var i=0; i<myarray.length; i++) {
                table += '<tr><td>'+ myarray[i][0] + '</td><td>'+myarray[i][1]+'</td></tr>';
        };

var w = window.open("");
    w.document.write(table); 
    }
    make_table()
    You then have a new page showing all the hyperlinked text and associated link in a table.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: creating sub-folders in Xara

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Going to be honest and say that I'm not following this at all. Can you clarify a couple of points as I'm not sure if you need sub folders at all?
    Despite loadsa help on here, I found sub folders hard to set up for my needs.
    My 'website' has 260+ pages.
    I simply made a website for every page (ie 260+ websites) and linked to them all via one page/website that is the site map.
    Works a treat.
    (Took a year to create it, mind!)
    Last edited by Acorn; 02 October 2021 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    Despite loadsa help on here, I found sub folders hard to set up for my needs.
    My 'website' has 260+ pages.
    I simply made a website for every page (ie 260+ websites) and linked to them all via one page/website that is the site map.
    Works a treat.
    (Took a year to create it, mind!)
    Sub-foldering allows you to not have to remember if the current sub-site first page filename is the same as a previous one or if you forget to change it from index. Either case will overwrite the published main or another sub-site.

With sub-sites published to sub-folders, it is easier to map out an unwanted subsite's contents or deliver changes content through staging.

Sub-foldering also allows a hierarchy, although anything more than two deep, I would be tweaking the .htaccess file to ensure the presented URL was flatter.

It all comes down to a trade-off of delivery over maintenance.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Works a treat.
    Reminds me of my track coach in high school when I asked him a question. He responded, "I would rather tell 30 people one time, rather one person 30 times. If it works for you, that's great, and there are times when this is a good solution. But, 260 websites? Surely this must have broken down to fewer categories.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Reminds me of my track coach in high school when I asked him a question. He responded, "I would rather tell 30 people one time, rather one person 30 times. If it works for you, that's great, and there are times when this is a good solution. But, 260 websites? Surely this must have broken down to fewer categories.
    Well, I have to admit after seeing how this site was designed and how simple it will be to add pages (article subfolders) with simple modifications to the home page, issue and article page I do not mind having 44 websites with a root home series of pages for the front end.

The design is simple now that it is understood. But I would never have any more than 60 websites (article subfolders).

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    But, 260 websites? Surely this must have broken down to fewer categories.
    The composite website is a collection of 260+ stand-alone long articles about local history.
    Only the home page has the assigned name 'index'.
    I find it simple to add just another page when I want to - and use the Site Map as the hub so that visitors have to return to it to navigate to other pages/articles/website.
    I looked at sub-divisions, and didn't think it was feasible to sub-divide 260 pages - and it seemed fraught with potential problems down the line.
    Voila: http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    The composite website is a collection of 260+ stand-alone long articles about local history.
    Only the home page has the assigned name 'index'.
    I find it simple to add just another page when I want to - and use the Site Map as the hub so that visitors have to return to it to navigate to other pages/articles/website.
    I looked at sub-divisions, and didn't think it was feasible to sub-divide 260 pages - and it seemed fraught with potential problems down the line.
    Voila: http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/
    Philip, your approach is special following a hub and spoke solution. I recall you had to migrate all this previously and had difficulties in linking old to new.
    The Landing (index) appears unreachable after you land on the hub or a subsequent spoke.
    The hub (Site Map) only seems to have 248 Links.
    Some spoke pages, as well as the Back Link do connect to a few other spoke articles.
    It is a bit like reading a novel, page by page, but instead of turning the page you have to go back to the contents page to find the next one.

It is an exposition of the other method to use that I mentioned in my last Post.
    You have 260+ separate design files. Each has a unique first page filename to ensure no conflicts as you are publishing everything into the one target folder.

Your site has a structure. You have already blocked out 13 sub-sections.
    You can manage it as you are intimate with it. Pass it on to someone else and the problems begin.

Adding a NavBar is not problem free as each new page would requiring linking from all others.
    Rather than do this each and every time, I might keep the What's New (in Month) and relink new additions once a month.

All course for horses.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Philip, your approach is special following a hub and spoke solution. I recall you had to migrate all this previously and had difficulties in linking old to new.
    The Landing (index) appears unreachable after you land on the hub or a subsequent spoke.
    The hub (Site Map) only seems to have 248 Links.
    Some spoke pages, as well as the Back Link do connect to a few other spoke articles.
    It is a bit like reading a novel, page by page, but instead of turning the page you have to go back to the contents page to find the next one.
    It is an exposition of the other method to use that I mentioned in my last Post.
    You have 260+ separate design files. Each has a unique first page filename to ensure no conflicts as you are publishing everything into the one target folder.
    Your site has a structure. You have already blocked out 13 sub-sections.
    You can manage it as you are intimate with it. Pass it on to someone else and the problems begin.
    Adding a NavBar is not problem free as each new page would requiring linking from all others.
    Rather than do this each and every time, I might keep the What's New (in Month) and relink new additions once a month.
    All course for horses.

Acorn
    That's a great summary of how the site works - and I don't read much critism (oh, the relief!)
    The hub and spoke analogy is perfect.
    My intention is to force readers to use the hub (although there are some links).
    It isn't like a book really because few of the pages follow on - the articles are stand alone.
    I could incorporate a nav bar. I've created a template to begin each new page which includes a link to the site map which could incorporate a nev bar but I don't see it would serve any purpose. If viewers started to navigate the site, there's a danger they'd get lost - hence they have to return to the hub.
    The extra pages (248 - 260+) are for my paternal history - which will link from another Site Map/hub.
    As regards passing it on, assuming the person was aware of the basic Xara, I think it would be simple to explain what to do.
    I'm quite able to incorporate sliders and moving parts and other bells and whistles but I find they are distracting for what I am trying to acheive.
    I'm still developing the website. I wish one could link to specific words in other articles - as far as I know, this can't be done with Xara.
    I also want to incorporate a search facility. I remember you (#Acorn) recommending duckduckgo (see, I do remember what you said!) which you said could be tailored to incorporate specific websites. But possibly duckduckgo has changed its format in the last year? I think this is doable using other programs.
    The seo needs attention, but the spiders seem to have done their work.
    I'll add a link to landing page the from the Site Map immediately. Thanks for that!

One small point, the Wray Family History Link gives a 404 (http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/page94.html). Wray family history

Wray family history
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    One small point, the Wray Family History Link gives a 404 (http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/page94.html). Wray family history

Wray family history
    Yeah - I noticed that. It links to Wayback Machine at the moment. Corrected. Thanks!