Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jono's life sans Xara

They look good Jono I may not like all of t but all in all in all good work.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    just be creative in every thing you do jono [well unless you are explaining yourself to Mr Plod ]

way to go...
    When I was a kid, after a bit of a night out, I was walking home carrying a big gnarly old log, and you guessed it, Mr Plod apprehended me! I can't remember the exact details (obviously), but think I got away with it by saying I was an art student!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Hello all, it's been a while but here's my latest roundup of bits and pieces (aka 'stuff').

Except for these doodles and experiments, things have been fairly quiet digitally. I have however recently discovered a local print studio that can do A2 giclée prints, which has really got my cogs going again.

As usual a few of the images originated from the Scribble challenge or were inspired from topics on the TG forum. For example the magazine, where I tried out Affinity Designer's new warp tool to layout the text (image below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	life-without-xara-nov-2022.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	133072

Name:	small-smile.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	133074

Nice. Keep on being creative.

Hello all, It's funny how things come together. I've been wanting to produce a set of 12 or so stamps for a (top secret at the moment) project that's been on the back burner for years. A third party content producer (Artifex Forge) has just released a collection of graphics, styles and brushes (for Affinity Designer/Illustrator) for creating vintage postage stamps. So anyway, I thought I kick start the project and give them a go.

Although the graphics pack contains a load of ready made stamp templates, to understand how it all works, I recreated a stamp from scratch after deconstructing one of the template files. In actual fact I don't think there's anything in the pack that can't be done with Xara, it would just take a different approach.

Anyhow, after lots of head scratching here's my first shot. For fun I've also included July's 2023's scribble line in the 'J' of Jono!

Hopefully I'll get another 'graphics roundup' together to post here soon.

Name:	stamps.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	133862

I always found stamps fascinating when I was a kid. The designs and styles always caught my eye. Sounds like an interesting project to design your own.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I always found stamps fascinating when I was a kid. The designs and styles always caught my eye. Sounds like an interesting project to design your own.
    Thanks gray. I'm also fascinated with stamps. Some of them are like miniature artworks. With my project I’m aiming to roughly complete one drawing a month including any research and accompanying text. So see you next year! (only joking, I'm sure I'll be around here before too long).

Here’s the latest round-up of imagery that's been loitering on my SSD for the last few months. As usual they've mostly originated from the TG monthly scribble challenge, so they're an eclectic mix of doodles, experiments and ideas.

I’m mainly now using Affinity Designer but dabble with VectorStyler and occasionally with Inkscape. Even after several years, I still have a love/hate relationship with the Mac OS. Probably due to my deeply ingrained past life using Windows.

Cheers, Jono

Name:	life-without-xara-jul-2023-pt1.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1,010.7 KB 
ID:	133868 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	life-without-xara-jul-2023-pt2.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	960.1 KB 
ID:	133869

Great compilation Jono.

In actual fact I don't think there's anything in the pack that can't be done with Xara
    Just for fun I thought I'd give it a try in Xara. I used the example construction on this page: Page image below.

Here's the result.

The face was created in MidJourney AI using
    Imagine : Copperplate illustration of 19th century mans full face, bearded --s 750 --v 5.1 --style raw
    and converted to vector using TraceJourney AI and cleaned up in Xara.

The remainder was all Xara creation and the whole drawing is vector. Used Spray.exe to create the noise effect.

Fun to do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magneto-2.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	836.4 KB 
ID:	133870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	133872  

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 21 July 2023 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Just adding bits as I go along.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

That's brilliant Egg. Nice use of Spray.exe. I'd forgotten about those little utility programs.

I must check out MidJourney AI and TraceJourney AI. Looks like they could be useful and save a bit of time for my 'stamp project'.