Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Info Picking a Service Provider

I’ve been told that because my website is not secure I need ssl certification. I publish my website with xara web designer 18. My domain is hosted with xara online. All my knowledge is self taught so im about to search what a ssl is so I understand a bit more. But am I right in understanding that in the web developer I put my destination as https://www.techautomotive.net rather than the normal http://techautomotive.net then the ssl will automatically apply to my domain or website?

Default Re: Picking a Service Provider

Quote Originally Posted by Baz86 View Post
    I’ve been told that because my website is not secure I need ssl certification. I publish my website with xara web designer 18. My domain is hosted with xara online. All my knowledge is self taught so im about to search what a ssl is so I understand a bit more. But am I right in understanding that in the web developer I put my destination as https://www.techautomotive.net rather than the normal http://techautomotive.net then the ssl will automatically apply to my domain or website?
    No, sorry. It's not that simple. Xara Online is hosted through Magix and has no SSL provision.
    You need to rehost to a proper provider that offers SSL .Some provide free cover.
    It is the provider who sets up the https redirection; this can be simple or hard so shop around.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 02 September 2021 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Moved Posts to a fresh Thread
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    No, sorry. It's not that simple. Xara Online is hosted through Magix and has no SSL provision.
    You need to rehost to a proper provider that offers SSL .Some provide free cover.
    It is the provider who sets up the https redirection; this can be simple or hard so shop around.

Acorn
    Would you be able to advise on a provider which would offer this as simple as possible and easy to link with my xara web designer. I did have a look at IONOS before I went with a xara domain but seemed very complex as I had to have a domain a hosting domain and something else which didn’t make a lot of sense so chose the xara domain as I could send it to that easily.
    Last edited by Acorn; 02 September 2021 at 04:46 PM.

Would you be able to advise on a provider which would offer this as simple as possible and easy to link with my xara web designer. I did have a look at IONOS before I went with a xara domain but seemed very complex as I had to have a domain a hosting domain and something else which didn’t make a lot of sense so chose the xara domain as I could send it to that easily.
    I’ve just seen cPanel is it simple to host a website on it?

How do I transfer my domain from xara online to another provider?
    Last edited by Acorn; 02 September 2021 at 04:46 PM.

I’ve just seen cPanel is it simple to host a website on it?
    How do I transfer my domain from xara online to another provider?
    cPanel is comprehensive but simple in concept.
    Your chosen service provider will have help guides.
    The same provide will advise how to change your domain to be register through them.

Look for one that offers free SSL, work out how many sites you will eventually host and look around and pick the three that interest you the most.
    Will you need email bundled? CloudFlare? WordPress? and the like. Create a list and tick off who meets what.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 02 September 2021 at 04:47 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    cPanel is comprehensive but simple in concept.
    Your chosen service provider will have help guides.
    The same provide will advise how to change your domain to be register through them.

Look for one that offers free SSL, work out how many sites you will eventually host and look around and pick the three that interest you the most.
    Will you need email bundled? CloudFlare? WordPress? and the like. Create a list and tick off who meets what.

Acorn

Thank you for your help so far Acorn.

So from what I’ve seen cPanel offered ssl free, emails which I’m working towards and multiple websites for £37/year

I don’t know what the other stuff you mentioned is or weather it is relevant to me.

Would I be able to link web developer 18 to it and my domain?

Apologies for my simple-ness I’ve basically self taught myself everything so far over the past year and with a lot more to learn. Decided to build the website for a YT channel I help my mate run.
    Last edited by Acorn; 02 September 2021 at 04:47 PM.