Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Drawing 101

OK Ross,

Thought I'd try practicing like you suggested. Rules of the game (the first project in Drawing 101) was to use only straight lines and cross hatching for all modeling. But computers are too tempting. Copied the keys and added little color in the background.

It is a good exercise though to develop a better feel for pen and tablet drawing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calculator_Sketch_-_2300_lines.gif 
Views:	383 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	5389  

Thought I'd try "water coloring" here with line strokes. If you try this make sure you use lots of layers, otherwise, its nearly impossible to select the lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beach_House.png 
Views:	373 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	1364  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Wow! The beach scene looks great! And a fine calculator too. It makes my day to read that someone has absorbed my advice. Thanks!!!!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thanks Ross. I believe the postings with the kindly objective advise from yourself, Meister Gary, and William Clegg [oops lets not forget Klaus when he's in a "good mood" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]] to be an ENORMOUS RESOURCE!

Its important to a have access to good professional guidance. I hope none of our egos are too big to realize that there is always room for improvement.

Regards...

Hi John how did you do the watercolour? I muck around with watercolours in other programs but would like to try in xara.....Tao jones

Hi Tao,

My "watercolor" is basically a bunch of lines with different line widths and colors. Many lines had round caps and joints. There were only one or two solid filled objects (closed paths). If you were to use natural media it would be more like drawing with felt-tip markers.

An area of similar "texture" such as the ocean, bay, grass, sky, and clouds were composed of "similar lines". For example, the sea was made of long wavey lines with slightly different widths and a some variation in color. The grass was made of thinner width lines which were squiggly, quick ly drawn lines. The clouds were one of the few areas I used line "strokes" (with a transparency as well).

I tried to draw as quickly and freely as I could. However, changing line widths and color tended to slow the process down.

Below is the XAR file. As you will soon see when looking at it wire frame, its a tangled mess.

Hope this helps, regards.

P.S. I work with a lady whose name is also Tao

[This message was edited by John S. Clements on April 29, 2001 at 12:18 AM.]
    Attached Files Attached Files