Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What is the XDP shortcut for making the (red) guides visible?

Hello

OK, I give up...

What is the hotkey to make the (red dashed) Guide lines visible/not visible in Xara Designer Pro (v18)?

Many thanks

J

PS Also where can I find a simple, searchable document that lists all the XDP keyboard shortcuts?

Default Re: What is the XDP shortcut for making the (red) guides visible?

Num + 1 (on numeric keyboard, click '1').

Added: But you can customize this shortcut in Utilities/Customize key shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Num + 1 (on numeric keyboard, click '1').

Added: But you can customize this shortcut in Utilities/Customize key shortcuts.
    Perfect

So where can I find a document that lists JUST the Xara shortcuts?

With thanks

J

In that same dialog, Utilities/Customize key shortcuts. And a summary of the shortcuts can be found in the Help file, Help/Xara Designer Pro Help...

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    In that same dialog, Utilities/Customize key shortcuts. And a summary of the shortcuts can be found in the Help file, Help/Xara Designer Pro Help...
    Agreed, however:

1. Utilities ==> Customise key shortcuts... is not searchable.

2. Help ==> Xara Designer Pro Help... is not searchable either.

3. Help ==> Yes, 'PDF Manual' is searchable, however it's also extremely long at 692 pages, and it's hard to find JUST the keyboard short cut you want, particularly if you don't know quite what it's called.

I never used the Num+1 shortcut but found it within a minute.

But to help you further, with the Help file open, click Ctrl+F and a search window opens.

a suggestion:

scroll through the customise key shortcuts taking screen captures - complile these into a look -up table

this is what I did, it is not exhaustive as some key shortcuts are not editable, but it is a help; most other shortcuts are covered by tooltips

I do not think it helpful to post mine up because:

a] I am actually making an exception, cheerfully as it's you, in offering help anyway under the current circumstances

b) My shortcuts are highly customised
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I still have the card that came with the CD for DP11 with all of the shortcut keys. I find it is easier than looking in the help file.

I often wondered if Xara had this in PDF format and would they post it? Maybe Rob could look at have this done.

Ray

Here is a XAR design with connected HTM file that lists all the v16.3 (and more) key settings.

Unpack the Zip and run the XAR and pick the third page, weaponised, to get a sortable and filterable table: Xara - KeySet.zip
    The listed HTM table is convertcsv.htm, which must be in the delivered folder for the design to work.

The index page accesses the same data through Google but it fails on filtering.

For the question on guides, simply type in guide into the Search Box. You then read off the KeyPress column entry.

Little has changed since v16.3 but I stopped as Xara decided not to deliver the PDF Help Manual where i could work out differences and update accordingly.

I have also published it to http://acorn.xara.hosting.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 01 September 2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat