Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down SmartShapes - consistency

Dear Xara...

You prefer we comment through your Chat mechanism.
    I don't. It is disruptive to a sensible dialogue between a Customer and a Company where issues raised can be seen by other interested parties.
    As a Company, you prefer to hide all criticism from view as you think you have control.

As a forum, TalkGraphics is ideal for expressing concern, hammering out issues and gaining insights for all.

Please do not just sneak a look at the loons. Tell us where we are right or wrong.
    You will be amazed by the loyalty you engender.

...SmartShape consistency.
    here is a simple example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UI Grief.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	130531

Both the Diagram and the Table are in what I shall call Smart Mode.
    We can also have Selector Mode where the Smart controls are not visible.

Alignment of SmartShapes
    You cannot when in Smart Mode.
    You can Snap to Shapes and Guides easily.
    You cannot resize drag to any Snap.

Table Selector Mode
    Almost impossible to achieve. I can by click-drag over the Table.
    Double-click will force Smart Mode.

Diagram Modes
    Another left-click will toggle between Smart and Selector Mode.
    Double-click will force Smart Mode.

Buffering
    Diagram has Gap; Table has Padding.
    Gap Size cannot be established during a change.
    Controls performing the same buffering has completely different.

Deleting and Copying
    To delete a Table row or column you have to move it to the bottom or right and then Drag up or Control+Click on the Add/Remove control.
    To copy a Table row or column you have to move it to the bottom or right and then Drag down or Click on the Add/Remove control. You then must return the original to position and then decide where to place its Copy.
    Each Diagram row has its own delete (or Copy) control.

Vanishing Controls
    The Diagram Controls vanish at 40% for a 512px wide shape; you are left with Gap and Rotate controls.
    The Table Controls manage to remain until around 20%.

Shape Manipulation
    The Diagram Symbols can only be replaced, not resized.
    The Diagram row height cannot be adjust unless more text is added or the Text Area is stretched.
    The Table Shapes has lots of reference to "Fill Colour".

Web Rendering
    The Diagram rows all end up as PNG images! The symbols are subsumed away and the text appears as Alt Text.
    The Table is a clutch of DIVs and SPANs that does not a thing for accessibility.

The point of this Thread is you have traded intuitive for disruptive and this is only a small sample of grief for just two SmartShapes.
    There is a lot more detail impacting these.
    Multiply all this across all SmartShapes and you surely must see the mess you've made.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: SmartShapes - consistency

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I don't. It is disruptive to a sensible dialogue between a Customer and a Company where issues raised can be seen by other interested parties.
    As a Company, you prefer to hide all criticism from view as you think you have control.
    I think you may have meant something like:

I don't. It is disruptive to a sensible dialogue between a Customer and a Company when issues raised cannot be seen by other interested parties

a sentiment I have a lot of sympathy with

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I looked it again this morning - I think I see now what you meant:

You prefer we comment through your Chat mechanism.
    I don't. It is disruptive to what is otherwise sensible dialogue between a Customer and a Company where issues raised can be seen by other interested parties.
    just wasn't clear to me [like lots of things]

feel free to ingore me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

handrawn, you are at least making the effort, unlike Xara.

Xara uses Intercom for force a one-to-one discussion. That way it can ignore rectifying issues until others likewise engage.
    No everyone, however, wishes to broach an issue but will be happy to flag their concerns in a forum.
    Through Intercom, an issue is never made public until Xara decides.

In a nutshell (he was my Brother!), Xara is flapping its ears, proclaiming "I'm not listening."

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat