Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairey Battle

Default Fairey Battle

Just completed a drawing of the Fairey Battle a British single-engine light bomber. It was developed during the mid-1930s for the Royal Air Force (RAF) as a monoplane successor to the Hawker Hart and Hind biplanes. Powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin The Battle had a three-man crew and bomb load. The Battle was relatively slow and limited in range. With only two .303 (7.7 mm) machine guns as defensive armament, it was found to be highly vulnerable to enemy fighters and anti-aircraft fire.

The Fairey Battle was used on operations early in the Second World War. In 1940, the Battles of the Advanced Air Striking Force suffered many losses, frequently in excess of 50 per cent of aircraft, withdrawn from service at the end of 1940.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fairy 800.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	130489  

Default Re: Fairey Battle

Love the translucent clouds. And always love the history lesson.

As always a stunning rendering Gray. I particularly like the cockpit shadow on the wing.

One point, you state it had a 3 man crew but I can only see a pilot and rear gunner in your drawing?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Gary, Egg.
    Egg the bomb aimer lay on his belly in the fuselage. I had the same question when I first saw it.

Thanks Gray, that was one thing I'd thought about as well. It must have been impossible to remain on your stomach for a complete flight so I can only assume he had access to the cockpit too???
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The cockpit was single seat Egg. These were quite large planes, so I think he would have room in the fuselage to sit up. Not much hope in getting out if the plane had trouble though. They were a tough generation.

Gorgeous and ominous.

Love it gray the image and your description
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

HERE'S a link to one that appears to have the persumably Observer / Navigator in a more comfortable position Gray
    Egg

Thanks Boy, Larry.
    Egg I've never seen a drawn profile showing a head sticking through the fuselage. I've never seen an opening in any ref material, so I'm a little confused by that.
    Here's a cutaway showing the amount of room in the fuselage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle-cutaway2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	130503