Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fairey Battle

Default Re: Fairey Battle

Hi again Gray, I'm not saying you're incorrect that the Observer / Navigator could well have spent the complete flight in the Bomb Aimers position but if so why did the Battle have such a long perspex cockpit? (I note that some versions did not have this elongated cockpit). In fact the chart table and navigators compass is shown in this mid section on your cutaway, which would be unacessable to the Navigator if in the bomb aimers laid down position, so I would think that he only took this poition on a bombing run.

Here's a photo of a third man in the cockpit. Interesting looking up this material. I don't think you'd get me to fly in one for all the money in China.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I can see that the third man is now standing in the gap required to house the rear gunners cowling when tipped forward. Obviously the third crew member couldn't be in the position of the first image I posted!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think they had more than a few versions of this aircraft, Egg. They may have had several different crew locations. It's difficult to get an answer since they were in service for such a short time. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, so we will just have to wing it.