Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosting

Default Hosting

I have just bought DP+ for use at the local men's shed and was proposing to use Xara for hosting and domain name are there any problems in doing so?

Where is the storage for hosting?

I have not found any sites that use Xara can someone give me a link please.

I have created web sites using DP and hosting on my ISP for hosting, its downside is the URL gets long like the one for the men's shed.

http://www.users.on.net/~pprewett/ThurgoonaMensShed/

Peter

Default Re: Hosting

You need to rent and register your domain name and publish to that domain. Right now your site is a sub directory. Your ISP can probably help you get the domain name.

The web site space is free it holds my model rail sites as well as the one above which will be transferred to Xara as soon as I can get my head around DP+.
    Peter

Well the price of free is a long address.

thurgoonamensshed.net for example should cost around 16.00 GBP a year
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Peter's in Aus, so here's the pricing in Aussie dollary-doos.

thurgoonamensshed.net.au - $14.95
    thurgoonamensshed.online - $8.95
    thurgoonamensshed.com.au - taken
    thurgoona-mens-shed.com.au - $14.95

cheapskates

you can certainly shop around, there is no set price, 16.50 GBP is probably on the high side, but like everything else, the cost is not the only consideration
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    cheapskates

you can certainly shop around, there is no set price, 16.50 GBP is probably on the high side, but like everything else, the cost is not the only consideration
    Not at all, that's the going rate in Aus, unless you get sucked into the US franchises like GoDaddy or NetRegistry. That's just the domain name though, not hosting. Hosting does vary and it pays to shop around and read what you're signing up for.

I charge $199 (current prices) which covers most people's needs, but you don't have to look far to find cheaper and/or dearer. Hosting does vary...shop around.

dreamhost is 10.99 USD... [edit - for the domain only of course]

and although, in theory, brokering a domain name registration is a standardised procedure, it is still worth checking out if you want 'extras' like privacy protection, ownership protection.....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    I have just bought DP+ for use at the local men's shed and was proposing to use Xara for hosting and domain name are there any problems in doing so? Where is the storage for hosting?
    I have not found any sites that use Xara can someone give me a link please... Peter
    Peter, no one has especially mentioned that Xara Design Pro+ does not come with any Xara Hosting service (Xara Online) included. That has been supplied through Magix that has never offered SSH or even email. Don't go there as you are paying a lot for nothing special.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat