Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default End of the Update Service for some Magix products

Hi,

Magix is ending the much-hated (except by me) Update Service for 4 of its products, Movie Edit Pro, Video Pro X, PhotoStory and Movie Studio (new version of Vegas Movie Studio that is actually an older version of Movie Edit Pro with capability to kind of maybe import part of a Vegas MS file). The Update Service will no longer be offered once your current one runs out. I presume that a reinstall will still revert to what you had when you last paid. So, other than for a subscription, the system reverts to what it used to be: buy the current version and you get bug fixes for a while, perpetual use of that version, nothing else, no new features, no next version - all for the same price as with the Update Service. I see this as a loss.

Will this be extended to Xara?

There is already the subscription to Xara Cloud, so possibly not, but I suspect that the Update Service will be dropped except for one-year access to the on-line content catalogue. Thus, those of you who complained about the unfairness of the Update Service would be happy.

Why is Magix doing this? They say:
    "What's the difference between the subscription service and the Update Service? In addition to up-to-date software, many of our customers want us to provide them with access to creative content and new opportunities for collaboration. With this in mind, we have built upon the existing Update Service concept to offer a new subscription format that delivers the latest technology and content."

That must be accountant speak for money grab. The Update Service didn't give them the consistent revenue stream that they thought that they would get, so they're going to try a subscription.

Sigh.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Default Re: End of the Update Service for some Magix products

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Why is Magix doing this? They say:
    "What's the difference between the subscription service and the Update Service? In addition to up-to-date software, many of our customers want us to provide them with access to creative content and new opportunities for collaboration. With this in mind, we have built upon the existing Update Service concept to offer a new subscription format that delivers the latest technology and content."

That must be accountant speak for money grab. The Update Service didn't give them the consistent revenue stream that they thought that they would get, so they're going to try a subscription.

Sigh.
    And this is exactly what Xara is doing now with Pro+.