Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Unable to get images opening in Xara Pro +

I usually have my computer to open images in Affinity Photo. However in a recent thread I tried to open an image in Pro+ but it loads Xara Designer Pro X (17). If I try to change this by selecting Xara Pro + as the default it still launches & loads into Xara Designer Pro X (17).

Anyone have any ideas why?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Unable to get images opening in Xara Pro +

So, does that mean that you right-clicked the image file, selected 'Choose another app', selected Pro+ and ticked the box 'Always use this app etc.'?

If that doesn't work, why not use the Open command in Pro + and browse to the image file? Or drag & drop it in Pro +?

Perhaps I'm missing the point here?

Hi Boy, thanks, I have no issue opening via Open command in Pro + and browse to the image file? Or drag & drop it in Pro +

See the short video.

EDIT The BB Code for TG no longer appears to function.

LINK HERE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I havn't watched the video - but did you reset ....Options > CheckAssociations in the registry ?

if you set these to 0 for ver 17 and for pro+

and then accept associations in pro+ when you open it; decline in ver 17 when you open it it may work [you may have re reset all your installed xda]

there is a long standing issue whereby xara 'confuses' windows because different version .EXE files have the same name, even though they are seperate installations

not noticed any BB code issues recently in TG
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Boy, thanks, I have no issue opening via Open command in Pro + and browse to the image file? Or drag & drop it in Pro +

See the short video.

EDIT The BB Code for TG no longer appears to function.

LINK HERE
    That's very strange behavior, Egg. I guess that's something for the Xara devs to explain. However, I missed seeing in your video the tick box 'Always use this app etc.' So, something on your system is not completely right either.

It's strange indeed. I can't even select Xara Pro + in the Choose default App by file type under Settings / Apps / Default Apps
    Egg

caught up with the video

stand by what i said above

I can't say why windows has defaulted to the designerpro.exe that is ver 17, rather than the designerpro.exe that is pro+, but it would appear that it has

windows may not realise anything needs changing if the .exes have the same name

going into the registry and removing the associations should approach the problem from the other diredction, ie the program you want will tell windows to associate it [rather than windows thinking it alrady is associated]

hopefully
    Nothing lasts forever...

just to clarify - this does not fix the issue of opening images in itself - what it should do is enable the routine that egg showed in the video to work with pro+, as windows will then see pro+ 'first' and not ver 17
    Nothing lasts forever...

Instead of delving in the registry and going through hoops; try Nirsoft's FileTypeManager (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html)

and what exacttly does that do, apart from delve into the registry and make changes that you as a user have to take on trust ?
    Nothing lasts forever...