Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is button text being grouped and converted to an image an issue?

I'm trying to create a button that is just text. On mouseover I want the text to change colour and a background image to appear behind the button to highlight it. As I'm grouping the text it will become an issue on export.

Here are some potential problems I can see - are they really an issues though?

1) If screen is scaled the button text is no longer crisp

2) Google and other search engines may not be able to pick up the button text (is there an alt version or something created with the same text?).

On a related note, how can I force the grouped image to be high-quality (I notice a lot of jpeg artefact)?

Default Re: Is button text being grouped and converted to an image an issue?

Stand by. Acorn will have the answer to this. There is also a feature in the newer versions of Designer Pro in Images, Separate Images (see attached) that forces the text to export as as text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	separate images.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	130403  

Thanks gwpriester - unfortunately I only have the Web Designer Premium.

Acutally, that option is also available in Web Designer Premium - thanks!

What version number to you have? This feature did not work correctly in some earlier versions. I will try to get Acorn to comment on this.

I believe the separation of Grouped items to separate images was around v15.0 for XDPX and XWDP. I cannot vouch for XWD.
    It caused mega-grief as it ruined Xara-designed NavBars as Xara chose to default to separation and had to issue a bug release.
    In the same period, a special Name HTMLText also fronted to overcome the creation of too many unnecessary images of both button and text.
    Most xara designs still suffer from glut of these with resulting poor resolution.

I simply went a tad further and removed the need for the backgrounds being images by using rounded-corner rectangles (not shapes).

Read the following Thread: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-image-Buttons
    Yes it is complex to master but once done, you can clone and amend for almost any design.

I typically use CSS to create buttons these days as it is cleaner.
    There are several on-line button generators to assist.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm using v18 WDP - Seems to work ok.

Thanks for the useful tips in that thread Acorn!