Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default £ signs not working on a new website...help!

Hi there,

I recently built a few websites in Xara Web Designer 18 - 2 of which are e-commerce sites. I used the Verdana and Brandish fonts for all of them but for some reason, on the site I'm currently working on, the £ signs don't display. They show a blank space in both Verdana and Brandish.

I looked through all the website settings comparing the site that works fine to the one that doesn't in case there was something really obvious I'd overlooked...but I can't find anything at all.

I also tried setting up a subfolder in the test domain I'm using to upload the site to for checking stuff, and uploaded the other e-commerce site (the one that's working and displays the £ signs properly) to the subfolder to see if it was somehow the domain that was the issue. But it's not. And now I'm really stuck!

Does anyone have any ideas what I can try next, or what I may have overlooked?

Thanks XX
    Last edited by midnite; 02 August 2021 at 03:01 PM. Reason: forgot to put the name of the software

Default Re: £ signs not working on a new website...help!

PS...I had a thought - there is a difference between the site that functions properly and displays the £ signs and the one that doesn't: the one that works properly has hosted Paypal buttons and the other has ones I've put the HTML in for. I can't see a reason why that would make a difference but I thought I'd mention it.

midnite, it would help to have a link.
    You did not state but we could assume that a normal text area with the pound sign is fine; it is your separate HTML coding that has the issue.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Acorn! Sorry - the site doesn't really work yet - I'm still working on it - but here's what I mean...

This is one of the pages that doesn't display properly and has the HTML Paypal buttons: http://www.intersomnia.net/violetflamecourse.htm

This one of the pages from the site that works and has hosted Paypal buttons: http://intersomnia.net/menu/melusine.htm

I scanned through the HTML for the buttons to see if I could see anything that might affect the default language or something, but I don't know enough about coding to know if there's an issue there or not.

X Midnite

What font are you using? This might be a problem if the font does not have the pound character.

Hi Acorn - I replied but the reply needs to be checked by an admin. I assume that's because of the links - but hopefully it will be up soon! X

Approved. I missed that one.

Also...the normal text area is where the problem is. I thought it was the Brandish font, so on one of the text panels I had on the side of the page in Verdana, I tried adding a £ sign but it didn't display there either. The text that's not displaying right isn't from my HTML - the HTML just tells the placeholder the button image to show from Paypal's site and has the "input" details for if people click on it.

XX

Thank you kindly XX (gwpriester - the mod X)

I can only suggest the Brandish font doesn't have a £ symbol. You can change it to a dollar and this works fine. Change it back to £ and it just shows a space.
    The Verdana shows the £ symbol as expected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	130308  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host