Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
Love the lamp fish, Jono!

I am in the process of thinking about either a memory boost to my aging Windows desktop, or moving to 'The Dark Side' as you have done.
Aside from the shortcuts, (or the cost) any other major drawbacks with the Mac compared with Windows?
Hi Bob (iamtheblues)

I’ve actually not come across any show stoppers but have had a few minor disappointments. These aren’t necessarily Apple issues, but more about me expecting better. Things like Spotify not having the playback graphic equaliser that the iPad version has.

Probably the biggest issue has been learning new software and understanding different ways of doing familiar things. That of course means not using Xara desktop apps - the M1 chip does not run a Windows emulator (as far as I know).

In my case I had an ageing i3 laptop that was getting cantankerous and slow. So any new modern PC system would have been a vast improvement, but when I started to look into hardware specs/performance/cost the Mac mini M1 for me actually came out a good choice, even after factoring buying new software. Although in my case I managed to buy all the Affinity apps when they were half price - still less than buying Xara Pro!

I use a Wacom Cintiq 16 as my main screen and pointing device and already had a bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K380) so didn’t need any additional hardware. I also bought a USB-C to VGA adapter to hook up an old HD (1920x1080px) monitor as a second screen which works great.

In a nutshell it probably comes down to how much are going to miss Xara and are prepared and willing to learn a few new tricks.

Thanks for your comment.