Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Though I have modified some of the introductory pages, producing a mobile friendly version and increasing the text size, I have come to a decision, for the moment, that creating a mobile friendly version of the whole site just to appease Google is not worth the effort.

There are many websites which were designed to be viewed on computer screens - this one - talkgraphics - being an example.

If users of my site are interested enough they may be prepared to turn their mobiles through 90 degrees and even zoom in - or get out a decent sized tablet - or blow the cobwebs off their laptop.

I've had enough of technological changes dictating what I should do. Now, where's that papyrus and quill?

Ian
Ian I respect your decision and I understand it would be a huge amount of work to do otherwise.

It may be convenient to blame technology, but really this is about meeting the needs of your potential audience not bowing to machines.

Google recognises the importance of the mobile platforms in todays world, not because there are a lot of mobile phones but because for most people the mobile phone is their first call when it comes to looking for something and often people will just use a mobile phone rather than anything bigger. This is the world today. The man in the pub beside the canal is going to be told about some website that has lots of info about canal songs - he won't be pulling out a laptop, he'll be reaching for his phone and saying "I can't read that" and forgetting about the whole thing.

As a family if we have visitors around, if there is some subject we are discussing then phones are pulled out.

Your aim was to boost your rankings with Google to get more visitors. I stand by my original suggestions.

Technology is not dictating, it's simply how people live today.

Again, I respect and understand your decision, and I think that your situation highlights for others the importance of the mobile platforms in web design and accommodating mobile at the very start of a project is crucial. This is why there is a dominant mobile-first movement in web design for several years now.

Good luck with the project and mobile or not I'm glad to see your dedication and this information being available. In this niche subject I do think people will try a little harder to get past the frustrations of no mobile support.