Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Nice to see Xara get a mention..

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Not that software comparison "reviews" were ever true dives into the software, but in the late 1980s and through the 1990s they were better. Closer to a true review.

The linked one demonstrates the author has no true clue what layout software is and should do.
    that's because [as I don't need to tell you] the article does not contain any review material

to be a review the programs would need to have been tested in use and the results compared and benchmarked

in fact what the article contains is just descriptive material

it's as if egon ronay had written about menus and decor and the appearance of the staff... but not actually sampled the food....

web is full of it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    that's because [as I don't need to tell you] the article does not contain any review material

to be a review the programs would need to have been tested in use and the results compared and benchmarked ...
    Yes, all true. I specified comparative review, which is slighly different than a full review.

For a decent comparative review, the author needs to be at least intimately literate in the software being compared and how they are used, even if the review wasn't deeply compared. That author wasn't up to the task even an informal comparison review. Else APub wouldn't have been so favorably mentioned. Scribus is far more feature-rich than APub. XaraAnything wouldn't have had a mention at all, much less a defunct application version. Viva Designer should have, would have, also had its Linux and web versions mentioned too.

Oh well. I don't put any stock in these click-bait, regurgitated reviews anyway.

Couldn't you guys just be glad that Xara had a mention without picking the whole thing to bits?

Couldn't you guys just be glad that Xara had a mention without picking the whole thing to bits?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Gary & Paul, say you created something 6 years ago but vastly improved it since then and your reputation and business hinged on what you now produce rather than your original artwork...

...it shows up Xara's efforts in a poor light.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

nicely put acorn
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gary & Paul, say you created something 6 years ago but vastly improved it since then and your reputation and business hinged on what you now produce rather than your original artwork...

...it shows up Xara's efforts in a poor light.

Acorn
    All that required was "Why doesn't Xara tell this guy he's recommending out of date software?" or "Why doesn't Xara get mentioned elsewhere?".

I'd rather there was a mention of Xara than no mention.

You guys also conveniently miss out the price/capability issue. Maybe it would never be recommended at a higher price point. Once the price point goes up Xara looks weak as a page layout program.

Anyway we all have a different take on this and my take-away is don't bother with Xara mentions again!

sorry paul, but sh*t reviews are endemic on the web.. that is is the most important thing here

sure there is a price point - but I would argue you recommend something with legs, not something dead in the water that will not take you where you should be going as you develop

sure it is good xara was mentioned, just a shame about the context
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Why? Why does Xara deserve a mention as a software for doing layout work? What is, Layout Software?

That is not to say that some manage to do layout work with an Xara product. Hell, I've hammered in nails using a Crescent wrench and would criticise an article about hammers including a Crescent wrench in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Hell, I've hammered in nails using a Crescent wrench and would criticise an article about hammers including a Crescent wrench in it.
    Now that's a man talking!