Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Nice to see Xara get a mention..

I'd like to think that Xara getting any positive mention outside of TG for any reason is a good thing.

Some people have used Xara for book production so while it is far from being the best for that purpose it is possible and favoured for that by some eminent users.

It was simply a heads-up for a rare mention of Xara and never intended to be some kind of dissection of the article or of Xara.

I'm quite saddened by the way people have and are responding to it. I guess it's a sign of the frustration of users with the development.

Perhaps it's time to close this thread, or even just delete it given the overwhelmingly negative response.

Again, Why? Why close it or delete it? Because there wasn't only a bunch of enthuistic responses?
    Some people have used Xara for book production so while it is far from being the best for that purpose it is possible and favoured for that by some eminent users.
    And I am quite "happy" that the 1-3 users that have created a, or X number, of book(s) in an Xara product have done so. But, then again, the article mentioned a defunct Xara product that, to the best of my knowledge, isn't/hasn't/wasn't used for said books.

One of my issues with the referenced article using a defunct Xara application as a recommendation is people will/can be sorely misled by it. That missleading doesn't do Xara (the company) any good what so ever. Even if the article mentioned Xara Designer Pro, the article would be at best an inaccurate representation of XDP's capabilities--at least as regards a new user. Which, again, doesn't do Xara (the company) any good.

If Xara (the company) wants good press to further its name, there are ways to do that. Xara (the company) historically hasn't seem to care about actual marketing.

Is XDP, XP&GD, et al good software? I think it is. I would love to see real reviews concerning it. But they should be about the software's strength at the core of said review...even if the reviewer touched on edge-cases (such as layout).

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Again, Why? Why close it or delete it? Because there wasn't only a bunch of enthuistic responses?
    I foolishly thought that (however flawed) some positive mention of Xara was a good thing, instead people seem intent on using it as an opportunity to lambast the post I linked to and indeed Xara in general.

I had expected some enthusiasm and some enthusiastic responses instead it's become a bad refection of the angst in the Xara community and really the whole thing now serves no purpose besides as a magnet for rather churlish users. The link is not to a review but simply to a subjective product summary.

I guess that I am in a minority of one in thinking that anything that directs someone to find out more about the product, even in a way that doesn't agree with some users is a good thing.

If an old version of the software is available at a low price, that's not a bad thing either since it is either a route to a discounted upgrade path or may well suit many users who have a restricted budget.

It's for the purchaser to decide the value of the product not the Xara expert users here.

You guys are a mean-sprited lot of so and so's !

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    ... You guys are a mean-sprited lot of so and so's !
    You seem to have a poorer opinion of me than I do of Xara. I find that odd. I don't think I misrepresented Xara--the company or its products--and certainly wasn't "mean-spirited" about either.

In any case, I'll leave the thread.

TG is here to help users, and prospective users; it is not here to push xara/magix product willy-nilly; at least that is my belief

don't take it to heart paul no one is getting at you
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As for me, I use Xara exclusively for everything with the exception of web stuff which I do not do, it saddens me to see our user base diminishing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Wizard,

I just bought Xara Designer Pro X, about 3-4 months ago. I'm pretty happy with it. I also own Affinity. But I think that Xara is really nice and lightweight on Windows 10. I think it's a very underrated piece of software that perhaps most designers are unaware of. It has a good toolset.

Welcome at Talk Graphics and I totally agree! If they just gave it the TLC it deserves.... But some recent developments signal they might be doing just that.

lets hope so...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@pauland. Any publicity is good publicity. Reviews have to be taken with a huge grain of salt. That being said, anytime I’ve convinced a novice to start with Xara, they have not been disappointed. When I also explain it also does this, and this, and this too they’re amazed. It draws, publishes, web and newsletters.
    Remember that we are long time users, and in a lot of cases expert users. These reviews are often times for people who are starting out.
    I work on two platforms, and there ain’t nothing like Xara in the Mac world. Nothing even close if you exclude Adobe.
    In my world I can’t figure out why Xara is not mentioned more,
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.