Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Designer 17 - HELP- need to -re-download - lost .web file

I can't figure out where to get the download for version 17. I deleted it thinking I am working in 18 now and somehow lost some of my .web files.

Can anyone direct me how to get the .web files back or get version 17, if that's the right way?

I do have all the other files....and I have dreamweaver to confirm everything is there. I just don't know how to proceed to fix it and I'm sure it's more than one of my websites. grrrrrr

*Figured it out...had the file but it became a "notepad" file. So reassociated it with Web Designer.voila!

Default Re: Web Designer 17 - HELP- need to -re-download - lost .web file

that is good bravo!
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    that is good bravo!
    Thanks...it was a bit frustrating but happy I figured it out. Now I have an error on one of the files, something to do with a font...and it won't open. Onward and upward!

Sue, you may not kept Automatic backups enabled or you may have changed their default location.
    If not, then it is possible you have a fairly fresh copy sitting in C:\Users\[WindowsLogin]\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\17\Backups\.

I always change my Backup location away from the default as I keep a fair number of versions running together.
    I also save my originals in a folder under DropBox so I automatically have copies across my machines and in the Cloud.
    For clients, I also provide a final version so should they come back for an update we have the delivered version to stage from.

It may also be possible to recover your file using ExpandXar: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...a-corrupt-file.

There is also an Export format (*.wix) that is an unpacked version of a XAR or WEB file that may be less open to corruption, if you are thinking of taking up paranoia as a hobby.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks so much Acorn. I think at one time I did change the backup location...but I think I forgot with 17 and 18.

Love the idea of dropbox too! Thanks for that tip. Hadn't thought of it.

I'll look at your link...the one .web that's giving me an issue has something to do with a font I downloaded and I don't believe I've used at all but went to delete it anyways and the darn .web file won't open still. I do like making sure all my work doesn't go to waste, and a bit of paranoia is a good thing to have!

Thanks again..

Any idea about the "font" issue? Why it won't open the .web file properly? Maybe a system reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Any idea about the "font" issue? Why it won't open the .web file properly?
    Sue, nothing much or than asking whether the font is still on your machine?

If desperate, ask Xara itself.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I took the font off of the machine. I was looking to ask for help with Xara and for the life of me could not find a link to get help!

Sue