Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The right page sizes for proper transistions

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Agreed Paul. That's why I suggested an 'i' as that is a more universal symbol for information.

No, but I didn't expect it too. This is a draft site posted by Gary. Not even Tims site has working links at present.

I agree that "i" is clearer. If there was an insistence that a (unnecessary) pop is used it would be clearer but the whole of the graphic area should be the hit target.

As far as using top-level domains for testing, I am going to say that is also bad practice. Always use a sub-directory - call it TEST or whatever and host your test sites there. Sites in development sitting on a top-level domain is never a good look. The visitor to a top-level domain for a business expects a completed site.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    As far as using top-level domains for testing, I am going to say that is also bad practice. Always use a sub-directory - call it TEST or whatever and host your test sites there. Sites in development sitting on a top-level domain is never a good look. The visitor to a top-level domain for a business expects a completed site.
    +1

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I think I'm missing the point here. Gary's draft site resides at "https://initiostar.co.uk" under a subdirectory "/demo" with a further subdirectory "/TB/"

Right or wrong?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think I'm missing the point here. Gary's draft site resides at "https://initiostar.co.uk" under a subdirectory "/demo" with a further subdirectory "/TB/"

Right or wrong?
    Follow the link in the first post..

So Tims site as a draft is a nono. Garys draft is fine. Correct? ;-)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So Tim's site as a draft is a no-no. Gary's draft is fine. Correct? ;-)
    Not sure where we are headed here: Tim (OP) explained he had 3 variants; with Scale-to-fit-Width he had render issues with a main variant page size of 1120px and a maximum StfW of 1000px. This will not work! I simply pointed out the maximum cannot AFAIK be logically less than the largest page width - suggested maximum of 1200px and it worked.

I cannot see any difference now between https://steamqualityinnovations.com/index.htm and the demo/test I created to check the StfW issue was resolved - https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/TB/

There are other issues for the OP to sort for sure; true it would have been better to resolve these before the site was published and where necessary to temporarily restrict the menu to those pages that are complete.

We would likely all come up with a different design; I have simply tried to address the specific issue based on the XAR the OP provided.

Gary

So Tims site as a draft is a nono. Garys draft is fine. Correct? ;-)

Err.. no

I'm not sure where we are going with this, either.

Tim I think you have a few pointers going forward and I wish you all the best with it.

Err.. no
    Things are getting very muddied here.
    So we have two sites, Tims original which points to his top level domain is stated as being bad practice and I'd agree
    The second is Gary's (Initiostar) draft site in a subdirectory of a subdirectory which I thinks fine.

So what is it?
    Egg

Things are getting very muddied here.
    So we have two sites, Tims original which points to his top level domain is stated as being bad practice and I'd agree
    The second is Gary's (Initiostar) draft site in a subdirectory of a subdirectory which I thinks fine.

So what is it?
    Gary's site solved the issue that Tim first mentioned. Good job.

As you say, top level domain as a test site -no, no, no.

I then went on to mention things I had found an issue. Some of the things which I mentioned were because the site is incomplete, but my mindset was that this was a finished site with an issue (otherwise why was it "live"?).

Forgetting the empty pages..

We had a discussion about the product page info - which is a very poor experience on my iPhone.
    - Exclamation marks made me think there was an error
    - The buttons for more info are tiny and hard to hit (if you use buttons in this context make the whole graphic the button)
    - The pop-ups add friction to the user experience while adding the popup info below the image would allow easy access via scrolling because the necessity to click on something is gone.

I did go on to the resources page which doesn't seem to have any downloads enabled -but OK, a work in progress.

Tim you've not done anything people haven't done before so I raise the issues simply to try and make your site a better experience for the user - on mobile at least.

The temporary test site I setup has served its purpose and has now been deleted.

Gary