Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: XDA Precision

Hybrid View

Default Re: XDA Precision

see that - it surprises me greatly, but it is good
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: XDA Precision

Thank you Acorn, yes I concur with all that you say.

Let me give a simple example. If I create a new blank A4 page and set the page units to Millipoints, if I set the Major Spacing of the grid to "1000mp", and set Snap to Grid on, then:

A) when I use the Rectangle Tool (M), it won't create a "1000" x "2000mp" rectangle, the nearest that the snapping will only allow me to create is a rectangle of size "999.8mp" x "1999.7mp" (and not "1000mp" x "2000mp").

B) Likewise, if I try to use the Quick Shape Tool (Shift+F2) the snapping create a square that is "1001mp x 1001mp", and not 1000 x 1000mp.

Interestingly, if I draw my shape line by line (again with snapping on), I can create the precisely size of shape that I require e.g. "1000" x "2000mp".

Worse, it seems that using either the Quick Shape Tool or the Rectangle Tool is injecting some kind of ongoing inaccuracy.
    For example if (having turned off Lock Aspect Ratio), I now edit the width of my Rectangle that I created in A) [see above] to be "10000" it now goes in as "9999.9mp" (instead of "10000").

And sometimes theres errors are somewhate larger. For example I do the same thing to the shape produced by B) and edit the width by typing in "10000mp", the new width is "9989mp" not "10000".

But if I edit a shape that I had DRAWN that is 1000x2000mp in size, if I type in a width of "10000" then I do GET a width of "10000" mp.

Trying to help.

J

PS If you want accuracy, the workaround to avoid the above flaws seems to be to convert all shapes to Editable Shapes (i.e. using Shift+Control+S). Although obviously having changed a Rectangle to an Editable Shape you can no longer do things like ad Curved Corners or change the number of sides etc.