Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WDP 15 disappeared!

I'e been using WebDesigner Pro version 15 since it came out in 2017. The other day it decided to stop working for some inexplicable reason. The flash screen came up but then disappeared quickly and the program failed to start. I did all the usual things such as starting in administrator mode etc. but nothing worked. I went onto the Magix accounts website and confirmed that I had WDP 365 under which it showed version 12 on my laptop and 15 on my desktop (the one I was having trouble with). So I uninstalled it and downloaded the installation files from the accounts page. However when I installed it I only got version 12, not version 15. It then updated itself to version 12.6 but that was as far as it was going to go.

As my websites were created in version 15 I would really like to have that version back. Anyone know what hoops I have to jump through to achieve this?

Default Re: WDP 15 disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Heywoodwest View Post
    I'e been using WebDesigner Pro version 15 since it came out in 2017. The other day it decided to stop working for some inexplicable reason. The flash screen came up but then disappeared quickly and the program failed to start. I did all the usual things such as starting in administrator mode etc. but nothing worked. I went onto the Magix accounts website and confirmed that I had WDP 365 under which it showed version 12 on my laptop and 15 on my desktop (the one I was having trouble with). So I uninstalled it and downloaded the installation files from the accounts page. However when I installed it I only got version 12, not version 15. It then updated itself to version 12.6 but that was as far as it was going to go.

As my websites were created in version 15 I would really like to have that version back. Anyone know what hoops I have to jump through to achieve this?
    You are now stuck with v12.6 as this was the last version you were entitled to in the world of Magix. The Update service runs ahead to say v15 and while you have it working, you can keep using it until it breaks. You then revert to the version you bought.

Pity you uninstalled it as anyone in this situation will only gain access to be paid-for version.

There might be offers around for v15 that you could get.
    Old Xara licences are transferrable.
    Sometimes TGers advise great offers from Steam (though Magix) that may be worth it.
    Xara Web Designer (Premium) upgrade to v18.0 is $60 - $1.15 a week for a year's utility and will revert to v18.0 if you have a similar issue out of cover.
    Xara Designer Pro upgrade to v18.0 is $99.
    Wait until v18.1 appears.

Acorn

P.S. There is no 'WebDesigner Pro', it is either Xara Web Designer Premium or Xara Designer Pro X.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the quick response and very clear explanation. So when you buy one version of Web Designer Premium it entitles you to upgrades for a short time (I think that was part of the marketing to get me to upgrade to version 12), but if you have to reinstall or move it to a different computer after the first year you then revert to the version you originally bought. Weird. I guess it's their way of encouraging you to pay for an upgrade each year.

I bought Xara because it wasn't a subscription model and I quite liked it's ease of use, but the way they are going it is becoming more like a subscription. I get it that they have to make money and I have upgraded a couple of times in the past, but I think I'll explore some other options and see how they compare with Xara. If I'm feeling particularly masochistic I could always use Dreamweaver CS6 which I bought a few years ago.

@heywoodwest. Though I think Xara Pro is excellent with many tweaks, fixes, and versions per year I can recommend the WSIWYG offerings google “quick and easy web builder” I’ve done the try out with Windows and Mac. The Windows version is far better.
    Remember Xara Pro+ is a yearly. For me quite affordable with the quick fixes. As well with Pro+ you get the branding package if applicable. It’s interesting if not building your own.
    My path led me back to Xara Pro because when I needed an odd shape or symbol I was able to find something in the catalogue. I’m not sure if your using Xara in your work. I’m up to 4 non profit sites, and two newsletters so I’m using the software everyday.
    Best of luck in your search.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.