Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrde?

Default Re: Upgrde?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Yes and no. Yes, Xara seems to do more 'its own thing' but, no, it still contractually services the XDAs for Magix and, perhaps more tellingly, Bellevue Investments GmbH & Co. KGaA is Xara's majority owner and holds a minority stake in Magix.
    are not the tines of a fork all joined at the base ?

investment and ownership are hands off I would have thought
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    are not the tines of a fork all joined at the base ?
    I leave the semantics to you, handrawn.

investment and ownership are hands off I would have thought
    ??

sorry but your argument did not make commercial sense; as for the semantics, well you see it or you do not
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    WRT to Bellevue Investments GmbH (majority ownership of Xara/ minority holding in Magix); they actually use Xara for their for own website: https://bellevue.eu/index.htm#xl_Ventures. Gary
    I think they should join TG as the site needs a lot of TLC. Perhaps I should offer my services and make carbon footprint savings for them at the same time?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I think they should join TG as the site needs a lot of TLC. Perhaps I should offer my services and make carbon footprint savings for them at the same time?

Acorn
    Well they might learn a thing or two about their investments, they might encourage greater cooperation and I'm sure your services would be of great value.

Gary

Tks, all -

I have download the Affinity trial and looked at it - don't see anything like the "blur or sharpness" tool in Xara which is what I would really like to have to improve upon my photos.

Do see that it can export to .tiff and a bunch of other files but don't know how useful that might be.

Again - tks - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    Tks, all -

I have download the Affinity trial and looked at it - don't see anything like the "blur or sharpness" tool in Xara which is what I would really like to have to improve upon my photos.

Do see that it can export to .tiff and a bunch of other files but don't know how useful that might be.

Again - tks - jb
    I've just upgraded my separate P&GD and WDP to XPDX - but,

The typographic controls in Affinity Designer are years ahead of Xara's.

There are a LOT of features unique to AD - being able to work with pixels and all the image adjustments/layers= associated with photo editing software is REALLY handy and is non destructive.

The fact that it runs proper colour management is indispensible if you sent any of your work to print.

You can even apply a blur or any other adjustment layer to a vector image

If you specifically want "traditional" image editing software for handling RAW images etc, Affinity Photo is available.

Yes, there are a few "holes" in AD's feature set mould tool, mesh warp and filling etc, but remember you pay ONCE and upgrades are FREE!

If AD had been around 10 years ago I would have bought and stayed with it for graphic design. I'm using AD for any new clients' work and am very happy.

Of course, if you need web design software, then get XDPx or WDP as a standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    but remember you pay ONCE and upgrades are FREE!
    I doubt that is the case ... Minor upgrade like 1.8 to 1.9 are free, but I would suspect that an upgrade to 2.0 would be a paid upgrade.

Although Affinity Designer has some nice tools and features, Xara is MUCH more intuitive. I find AD's layer based adjustments much more awkward than Xara's object based adjustments.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

and yet it has been five years of upgrades under point 1 - if we have to pay for 2 and get another five years of free upgrades I for one will not be complaining....

AD is not Xara, it is closer to adobe... that I agree with
    Nothing lasts forever...

if we have to pay for 2 and get another five years of free upgrades I for one will not be complaining....
    Indeed. All 3 programs, designer, photo & publisher have only gone back to their full price of £50 each. Until today they were priced at £25

I'd happily pay £50 for v2. That works out at £10 per year over 5 years. But that's not to say they won't move to a subscription route on the release of v2.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host