"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Need to move site off of Startlogic

as you are in US you may consider dreamhost

https://www.dreamhost.com/
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

We originally used Arvixe, which was great for about a year, at which point they were bought by EIG (Endurance). After that, the service was absolute crap in every aspect.

We've been using GreenGeeks for almost two years now. We've never had any issue, and they are very quick to respond if you have technical problems. The bonus is that they are environmentally aware and pro-active. Personally, I recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    We originally used Arvixe, which was great for about a year, at which point they were bought by EIG (Endurance). After that, the service was absolute crap in every aspect.

We've been using GreenGeeks for almost two years now. We've never had any issue, and they are very quick to respond if you have technical problems. The bonus is that they are environmentally aware and pro-active. Personally, I recommend them.
    I can't find it right now but one of the sites that wrote a review of GreenGeeks had a downgrade due to the way it handled SSL. Is this on all their plans or just the cheap one? - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Arvixe offered SSL at a substantial additional cost. With GreenGeeks, it is free. I don't remember the process to get it enabled, but it was not difficult. Our site is not e-commerce that handles extremely delicate transfers of data, so I cannot speak to that issue. I feel certain that GG is better than Endurance... and probably as good as it gets without contracting a dedicated server. Sorry not to be of more help.

fwiw basic SSL is free at dreamhost [you are unlikely to get anything more comprehensive for 'free' ie not built into a higher hosting price, I would think] - had good reports of them from someone I know but not used personally so can't recommend them in that sense
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As I stated, I can't fine the comment by one of the reviewers ref GreenGeeks but it had something about it returning a "Insecure" on SSL.

Handdrawn, at this point, Dreamhost has moved at the top of my list - JB
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    As I stated, I can't fine the comment by one of the reviewers ref GreenGeeks but it had something about it returning a "Insecure" on SSL.

Handdrawn, at this point, Dreamhost has moved at the top of my list - JB
    Finding hosting is a nightmare. I don't know where the "insecure" would come from regarding GreenGeeks, but we haven't had any issue. As I mentioned before, we don't do e-commerce, and perhaps that is the problem.

You definitely have to go with your gut. Best of luck!