Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Default Re: Windows 11

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    other half nicked one of my mice when I bought her a lenovo i5 'too damn quick to use a touchpad'
    I much prefer using a trackpad!

I assume it was just that the trackpad setting was too sensitive - easily changed.

it comes down to gestures - not all trackpads allow you to turn off gestures [maybe that is windows too] - personally I hate gestures - on a fast machine it is just too difficult to control, and she was likewise uninmpressed at how easy it was to do somethging she did not mean to; sensitivity you can adjust but a mouse is easier, especially if for example, your mind is on what you are going to do next, and not where you happen to park the cursor meanwhile
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

50 secs to start affinity designer is abysmal - it takes 4 secs on my win10 amd ryzen 7 2700X cpu desktop
    Mine loads in 4 seconds. (No previous files opened)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It’s good to hear AD does actually open quickly in Windows.

I’ve definitely got an old computer but up until recently it’s been a good solid workhorse. Performance went to pot after the last Windows 20H2 update. I should have rolled it back but lost the will as the update took so long to do (hours). I now just make lots of cups of tea whilst waiting for things to open!

After suffering a painful case of RSI using a cheap mouse, I now only use my Wacom pen for navigation.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

does your wacom have an onscreen keyboard - that is, does it have a touch button to activate one ? I understand that basically it is the windows onscreen keyboard but whereas if I access it through windows it obeys the no click sound setting, if I access it via the wacom it does not; if you know how I would be grateful
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    does your wacom have an onscreen keyboard - that is, does it have a touch button to activate one ? I understand that basically it is the windows onscreen keyboard but whereas if I access it through windows it obeys the no click sound setting, if I access it via the wacom it does not; if you know how I would be grateful
    It does have an on screen keyboard available but I’ve not used it much. I’ll check properly later. I’m down in Cambridge today - going to the Apple shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    I’m down in Cambridge today - going to the Apple shop!
    In case you don't realise, the SSD and memory are not upgradeable after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    In case you don't realise, the SSD and memory are not upgradeable after purchase.
    I did realise, but thanks anyway. I’m going for 16GB RAM and 512GB storage.

well there are pleanty of variations to choose from, hopefully you'll get good advice and a nod to the future

cambridge is an expensive place you'll not get away with hull prices for coffee and a cheese toastie

wacom drivers are written for mac and then 'modified' for windows as I understand it; that may mean the access route to onscreen keyboard through the cintiq is 'no-frills' and just ignores the windows settings
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sadly no time for coffee and toast, but yes prices much higher. (update: have ordered Mac Mini M1 - due second week of July ).

Re onscreen keyboard. I'm using a Cintiq 16 so no physical buttons on Wacom device. I can call the Windows onscreen keyboard via the default Express Menu 'Toggle Keyboard'. There's no clicking sound for me. I have 'Use Windows Ink' disabled in the Wacom tablet properties under the 'Calibrate' tab. Hope this helps.

Screenshot below showing express menu and onscreen keyboard. Just been looking through some old xar files and found this one of Steve Ledger!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wacom-keyboard-.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	129948

There's now an official Windows 11 page on the MS website:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11