Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Default Windows 11

is on the way...

Microsoft have announced that one of the ways in which windows 11 will deiver a better user experience is by requiring a computer to have TPM 2.0 implementation, otherwise windows 11 will not install

Most recent CPU will have this, but it's not a given its switched on in BIOS, or even that your mainboard has the necessary hardware; again recent boards will have the capabilty, but like mine they may need a plug-in module [which it has just taken me quite a while to find in stock anywhere]

how recent is recent... last five years or so give or take...

still windows 10 is good until oct 2025 - lodsa time eh?
    Last edited by handrawn; 25 June 2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: just a t's
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Windows 11

They have been trying out various aspects with some recent updates. There is a news/weather kind of thing that appeared on the task bar and which I promptly dumped.

yes - they are apparently going to have a left-side 'widget' area [in same way they have notification area on the right] and this will include feeds and a lot of other stuff that I will probably kill 'cos that is not what i use a desktop for

the default start menu position will now be in the centre of the 'taskbar' [this config can be changed though]

they are going to enable mobile apps to run in windows though to what extent, and how secure they will be remains to be seen; this could actually be useful if it is well implemented

it also prompted me to review what a mac pro would cost me: incuding monitor best part of $10,000 to the spec I would want

just off to check that lottery ticket.....
    Nothing lasts forever...

I can’t help feeling that some of these new widgety things are just designed to track what your up to. I have an older laptop and Windows 10 Home edition and it's not ‘tpm ready’. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...orm-module-tpm

If you can wait 'til around November, I think there’s a good chance Mac Pro’s will be announced with new powerful M1X/2 (Apple Silicon) chips. You probably will have to buy new versions of your software, so a jackpot win could still be required. (For info, the 50% off Affinity apps ends 30 June).

After months of deliberating (and years of using Windows, since v2.x) I’m actually about to jump ship and buy a Mac Mini M1. It can’t run Windows or anything desktop Xara, which I’ll greatly miss (obviously) but alternatives are available!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I can port all the animation software - my licences are valid for both platforms though on a one or the other basis as is corel painter; programs like PT-SAI don't need the internet at all so they can be run in sandbox; sure I'd miss xara too but as you say there are alternatives

are you looking at 8 or 16GB mac mini
    Nothing lasts forever...

I understand that the processor must be 8th generation or higher. My computer is less than three years old, but only 7th generation. I guess I'm left out.

Frankly, the previews I've seen aren't incredibly impressive. It's just a repackaging of the same thing. But they say it will be faster... something I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I can port all the animation software - my licences are valid for both platforms though on a one or the other basis as is corel painter; programs like PT-SAI don't need the internet at all so they can be run in sandbox; sure I'd miss xara too but as you say there are alternatives

are you looking at 8 or 16GB mac mini
    8GB would be fine for my fairly simple needs, but I’m going for 16GB to be on safe side. You can’t add more later as it’s built on to the M1 SoC (system on a chip). You can also run iOS (iPad) apps on the current Mac OS.

I was originally planning to build a Windows PC, but got cold feet after remembering the time I fitted (or rather shoehorned) some RAM into an old tower PC which then let out a little puff smoke after switching on!

That’s great about your software licence being good for both platforms.

Whilst there is no overriding reason for me to change to using a Mac from Windows, in a way I see it as a fresh start, a way of gaining more deskspace, and the ability work more tightly with my iPad, which is where I seem to spend most of my ‘screen time’ nowadays.

In terms of CPU benchmark comparisons (multi/single core) with my current (old, but trusty) PC:

i3-4000M = 1720/1259 (current)
    Mac M1 = 15128/ 3760
    i9-10900 = 20797/3070 (for context)

How this translates in the real world will be interesting to see, but I keep hearing about fast start up times like 3 or 4 seconds for Affinity Designer (currently for me about 50 secs) and how quiet it runs.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

50 secs to start affinity designer is abysmal - it takes 4 secs on my win10 amd ryzen 7 2700X cpu desktop

you either have a very old or very choked up system, quite possibly both
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    50 secs to start affinity designer is abysmal - it takes 4 secs on my win10 amd ryzen 7 2700X cpu desktop

you either have a very old or very choked up system, quite possibly both
    I don't think you can compare domestic setups with a ryzen 7 2700X and no doubt a good SSD.

..that said.. ..I can't remember waiting for any software to take 50 seconds to load.

Buying an M1 Mac is going to be a shock in terms of performance, that's for sure.

no of course I agree with both points [samsung 750 EVO - it might be quicker still with the system on the 960 EVO M.2 but that is dedicated for program use] the ryzen was spec'd for animation and studio sound

50secs is bad - my i7 laptop is not far behind 4 secs

Buying an M1 Mac is going to be a shock in terms of performance, that's for sure
    other half nicked one of my mice when I bought her a lenovo i5 'too damn quick to use a touchpad'
    Nothing lasts forever...