Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default iPad: anyone tried storing and viewing a WebPage on an iPad?

I published a webpage folder onto my PC's harddrive.
    Then I copied it to my iCloud account.
    Then, in the Folders app on my iPad, I copied it down to its On My iPad location.

My objective is to be able to read my webpage on the iPad without an Internet connection (realizing that any links it would have to other sites would not work), so I did a test by turning off WiFi on the iPad.

The text of the page was displayed but its formatting was scrabbled and graphics did not display.

? Has anyone attempted doing someting this with success ?

I did contact Apple Support and they said it can't be done but I figured I'd ask the experts here on the forum; maybe a there's a trick.
    It would be nice if XaraDesigner had a "Publish for iPad Viewing" option

The iPad Folder with index.html file
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot of folder on iPad.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	129835

WebPage Viewed offline, no Wifi Connection

Name:	screenshot webpage viewed in iPad.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	129836

WebPage viewed normally with iPad via Chrome Browser with Wifi

Name:	WebPage on iPad via  Wifi.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	129837

Default Re: iPad: anyone tried storing and viewing a WebPage on an iPad?

'course it can be done.

If you open just index.html, you will get a pile of text without formatting and no images; exactly as screenshot#2.

What is also needed is everything in the folder index_htm_files/ to have been published as index_html_files; screenshot#1 shows you haven't.
    index.html simply cannot see the current contents as it is trying to find things in a folder that's not there.

If iPad only like *.html files for browsing then in your Xara application, you must rename index to index.html in the Page Filename.
    Xara then publishes index.html with index_html_files/ properly.

If iPad understands *.htm files, just change index.html to index.htm.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Can you mark a Xara website as being a web app? If so you can probably just add a link to the iPad for the web page and it will cache the content.

There used to be a limit on the size of the cache available and no sound! Maybe that's changed.

For what you are using your IPad for in this case, you can just printing your web page file as PDF and save the PDF to your IPAD. It would be easier in this case.

Ray

Yes, i am aware of the choice to use PDFs. However, webpages can offer other features/advantages and exporting and publishing them are basically 1-step processes. That is why I am investigating installing them on a iPad.

I will post the results using Acorn's suggestion. I was unsuccessful but I will post the .xar's soon, so my formatting can be examined.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jclements; 11 June 2021 at 02:27 PM.