Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Update 18 UI/UX Problem: Icon Sizes too small on 4K monitor

first off _ i have designer pro+; the designer 18 implementation of 4K support has not afaik been documented as different, but who knows for sure outside of xara/magix

I have not noticed anything in the xara UI that is not consistantly very small at native 4K, no scaling

long shot, but you do have graphics hardware on your computer capable [for multiple monitors if you use them at the same time] and all the drivers are up to date....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I posted the screenshot of a 17 and 18 menu open side-by-side in Windows. One (18) has inconsistently small icons. I don't know what more I can do to prove this is an actual UI bug that should be fixed by Xara.

Here's Xara Pro 17, all menu icons are appropriately sized and scaled
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara ui ux problems 17.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	129840

Here's Xara Pro 18, not so much:

Name:	xara ui ux problems 18.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	129841

These icons are not going to be fixed by scaling Windows, because the icons are inconsistently sized. Look, they're smaller than the checkbox input. A clickable icon button should not be smaller than the typical checkbox input control.

Windows is already scaling everything on my machine, since it's a hi-res monitor, so the fact some icons are too small to read means that they are the objects with poor configuration, not everything else in the viewport.

I'm sure Xara will get it fixed eventually, but this is a bug for them to fix, not an issue with my environment.

---

BTW, if anyone wondered, I was able to uninstall 18 from the apps menu in Windows. It didn't cause problems even though it was installed via an update prompt rather than as a standalone package.

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	129839

I can confirm that happens with 'save template' in designer pro+

so - does it happen anywhere else that you have noticed ?

it is possible xara have not updated that particluar dialog box which has been around for a long time; unlike the save/save as dialogs that were updated in line with windows a year or so back

did it cause any issues [apart form being difficult to see
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerRants View Post
    BTW, if anyone wondered, I was able to uninstall 18 from the apps menu in Windows. It didn't cause problems even though it was installed via an update prompt rather than as a standalone package.
    Thank you for advising. It has always been the case that major versions in XDAs have always been a fresh install. The recent notable change is Xara now tries to carry over most of the prior version's user configurations.

While it is your choice to uninstall v18, there will be a time this UI issue will be fixed and you may lose the opportunity to re-install as your Update Service may have lapsed before you noticed.

For anyone else, I would suggest installing and accepting updates and use the earlier version if you prefer.

While you are at it, always download a second install to another device; you may need access to a working XDA in a hurry.
    All in all, I am suggesting a disk usage increase of a factor of three. I have 12 versions of XDAs installed and it doesn't hurt.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

OK so I just bought the all new HiDPI version of Xara Designer Pro after sadly having had to wait for HiDPI support for many years, and almost dropping Designer over it.

Name:	BQJ1AJT.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	130998

Only to find that, of all things, NOT EVEN the icons on the main toolbar are HiDPI but instead still old and blurry.

Come on Xara Team, this is ridicoulus.

Name:	eMZ3IW4.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	130997

Sheesh, that looks like the old 256 color model.

Question Re: Update 18 UI/UX Problem: Icon Sizes too small on 4K monitor

Quote Originally Posted by David.P View Post
    Only to find that, of all things, NOT EVEN the icons on the main toolbar are HiDPI but instead still old and blurry.
    Come on Xara Team, this is ridicoulus.
    David, the option has been out there for quite a time so I find it amazing that you have discovered such a failing, yet no one else has reported it.
    I hear it went through extensive beta testing.

I cannot affirm your statement as as do not have a 4k monitor.
    Instead, I use my XDA across monitors with different resolutions and I cannot detect any problem.
    I have used MS Magnifier here, at 1000% scaling and text and icons seem no worse than those on the Desktop.

Name:	Ten-fold.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	131001

After all this, I do find Xara Xtreme 5's toolbar to be crisper and cleaner.

If anyone has a mechanism to determine the efficacy of Xara's implementation, I would appreciate hearing how.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

it is not as quite as crisp as some other programs such as painter 2022 on my 4k cintiq, either at 200% scaling [recommended] or 100% scaling [native]

Name:	4K 200per scaling.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	131002

can't say I notice the difference when using the progams though
    Nothing lasts forever...