Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saving as CYMK file, .ai or .eps in Xara ?

Hello everyone,

I made a design using Xara designer pro X11 and i tried to send the file as pdf to the printhouse but now they're asking to send the file as CYMK or adobe illustrator cause the pdf file doesnt work for colors. I tried to save as .ai and.eps then tried to import it back to xara to verify it but Xara is getting an error importing at line 271471 [1].

Any way to save it as CYMK so they can edit it later themselves?

Thank you for your help !

Gaf

Default Re: Saving as CYMK file, .ai or .eps in Xara ?

What flavor of PDF did you send? PDF/X exports as CMYK unless you specify otherwise.

This screen capture was from my copy of P&GD 18 but I think this export capability has been in the last several versions.

I exported this page as PDF/X for Commercial Printing, opened it in Acrobat to check the colors and it shows CMYK.

And even if the file is RGB and not PDF/X your printer can convert it. If not, get a different printing company.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMYK.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	129811  

And I ran the file through Acrobat Pre-Flight which tests for potential problems and it converted a few things to PDF/X-4. I am not sure why but the entire process took under a minute.

Any printer who knows anything about printing could have done this and should have done this.

I say change your printer.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What flavor of PDF did you send? PDF/X exports as CMYK unless you specify otherwise.

This screen capture was from my copy of P&GD 18 but I think this export capability has been in the last several versions.

I exported this page as PDF/X for Commercial Printing, opened it in Acrobat to check the colors and it shows CMYK.

And even if the file is RGB and not PDF/X your printer can convert it. If not, get a different printing company.

I tried to export as PDF/X but it's causing my Xara program to stop responding and have to close it.
    Most probably they needed the design in AI in order to edit sizes a bit.
    Anyways, I've been learning very easily on Xara and dont want to learn AI from start but i guess Xara should be more easily convertible to .ai and to keep all objects intact cause i tried several times to export as ai and some objects were distorted or changed after opening the file with AI.

Thank you for your help and time !

PDF is an Adobe format and one of Illustrator's native file formats. PDF stands for Portable File Document and is designed for sharing. It supports bitmap and vector images, some transparencies, and can be edited.

If you have having problems creating a PDF/X file then this is another question.

What version of Photo and Graphic Designer are you using? Your profile shows version 10 I think and if that is the case it might be good to upgrade.

I am using Pro X11 version!

But you cannot export a PDF/X document?

Have you tried closing the program, then right clicking on the program icon and selecting Run as Administrator?

This can solve a variety of issues and you only need do it one time. It either works or it does not.

If Gary's suggestion doesn't work then attach your xar file here and others can see if it exports to pdf/x
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It is taking long until Xara freezes and has to close the program but i tried to save a smaller file to pdf/x and worked fine!
    I guess the file has many objects

Thank you all for your support!