Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When a List is NOT a list.

I was trying to add some text to a piece I was writing in Pro+ in which I was referring to A. Smith, which is how a friend refers to herself.

Except Pro+ took the liberty of assuming the A. was part of a numbered list starting with A. and would not let me override this formatting.
    IP

Default Re: When a List is NOT a list.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I was trying to add some text to a piece I was writing in Pro+ in which I was referring to A. Smith, which is how a friend refers to herself.

Except Pro+ took the liberty of assuming the A. was part of a numbered list starting with A. and would not let me override this formatting.
    Gary, you press the ESC key immediately after and you stop it dead.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

I see what Gary is saying

I am not sure when and whether esc mitigates this 'smart'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

My mistake, it should be Backspace+Backspace.

All thumbs tonight!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

I am not sure that works

if I type A. Smith and then hit return I get the B. - if I hit backspace once it removes the B. but leaves indent - hit backspace again it returns me to the end of the A.Smith line - if I then hit return to continue back comes the B. - am I doing something wrong?
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I am not sure that works

if I type A. Smith and then hit return I get the B. - if I hit backspace once it removes the B. but leaves indent - hit backspace again it returns me to the end of the A.Smith line - if I then hit return to continue back comes the B. - am I doing something wrong?
    handrawn, I tried and it worked. It was a Text Area.
    Yet to try the bullet control. I think that is cheating though.

Acorn
    IP

i just typed in a line - dont use text areas - thing is, this is autostupid - in word I can tell it globally not to do autoformat, because word is a world class program - can I do this in xara ?

ok I checked - it works in a text area... but like i said some of us just use text lines, why should we suffer, and why can we not just turn off auto correct globally [this is rhetorical xara always thinks it knows best] ?
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I made an executive decision and used Allison's name. Life is too short.

I just finished formatting a book of 16 short stories that I have written, 167 pages + front matter, and I was on the acknowledgements page.
    IP

I made an executive decision a goodly while back not to use xara for DTP period

glad you got it sorted - I am a great short story fan

my grandmother used to tell me as a child I was so sharp I would cut myself - xara is so smart they may end up getting hurt
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    i just typed in a line - dont use text areas - thing is, this is autostupid - in word I can tell it globally not to do autoformat, because word is a world class program - can I do this in xara ?

ok I checked - it works in a text area... but like i said some of us just use text lines, why should we suffer, and why can we not just turn off auto correct globally [this is rhetorical xara always thinks it knows best] ?
    I'm going to be extremely blunt here. This is exactly why Xara hates going through TalkGraphics. This isn't unique behaviour to Xara, this isn't something special. This is standard behaviour across desktop publishing apps and somehow you've turned this into a Xara hate bashing session, that we're trying to be too smart for our own good. It wouldn't surprise me that if we didn't turn this into a list, you'd be complaining about that as well. I genuinely don't believe we can do right by you.

I can get this fixed. One of my first initiatives is to collect a large number of minor tweaks, ui/ux improvements and bug fixes and get them finally sorted. Bugs that often are generally minor in scope and fall under the radar but overall together have a big impact on the experience of Xara. I get that you're frustrated, but for the love of god please work with me here to improve Xara, to make this process smooth. The more direct an issue is, the faster we can provide a solution.
    IP