Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Renew or not - The $50 dilemma

Struggling with renewing my update service. I am currently on Xara Designer Pro X 17.1.0.60742 DL x64 Dec 9 2020 so the March update is the only thing I get for now. Current upgrade "special" is $99 and not the usual ridiculous $149. If it were not for the $50 savings I would not be deliberating. I don't see the March update containing any great value as I use FHD monitors. After over 40 website in Xara, I left the web development functions behind two years ago. I recently purchased Affinity to do a single function I couldn't do in Xara.

I use Xara daily creating logos, editing images for websites, building online ads, etc. I have kept the product up-to-day for over 10 years. Since the subscription service I feel less and less value in updates.

Someone tell my what I might be missing.

Happy Drawing,
    e

Default Re: Renew or not - The $50 dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    Struggling with renewing my update service. I am currently on Xara Designer Pro X 17.1.0.60742 DL x64 Dec 9 2020 so the March update is the only thing I get for now. Current upgrade "special" is $99 and not the usual ridiculous $149. If it were not for the $50 savings I would not be deliberating. I don't see the March update containing any great value as I use FHD monitors. After over 40 website in Xara, I left the web development functions behind two years ago. I recently purchased Affinity to do a single function I couldn't do in Xara.
    I use Xara daily creating logos, editing images for websites, building online ads, etc. I have kept the product up-to-day for over 10 years. Since the subscription service I feel less and less value in updates.
    Someone tell my what I might be missing.
    Happy Drawing, e
    onlye, you still have some web content interest so the recent inclusion of Webp, SVG handling and improved PDF probably all have a breaking.

If I were in your shoes but had the chance of website refresh of my back catalogue, I might look at a monthly subscription for access to Xara Pro+, while keeping v17 for the day job.
    You get to see what's new when you are being paid to doing a specific job.

In the meantime, download the v18 trial and see if it has anything of particular interest.

I recently spent a whole $10(US) (annual subs) for Boxy SVG which so complements and augments Xara; I particularly love its UI: try Library > Photos > Search: something and right/double-click on an image.
    It does loads of things I am just discovering...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I recently spent a whole $10(US) (annual subs) for Boxy SVG
    Just thought I'd have a look at Boxy but I use Firefox and came to a screeching halt with this message...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxy-halt!.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	129774

Quote Originally Posted by jaydear View Post
    Just thought I'd have a look at Boxy but I use Firefox and came to a screeching halt with this message...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxy-halt!.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	129774
    jaydear, Boxy SVG work best with Edge as it then allows off-line use.
    I use FF occasionally so I never hit the halt until i had read through the available info.
    I work mainly with Vivaldi and less so Chrome so having Edge for a local app is no biggie as it keeps things like browser history separate and irrelevant.

I need multiple browser for testing websites (currently 7) anyhow, so it is not a biggie.

Try Boxy SVG in Edge.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

May I suggest that your "dilemma" (I don't think dilemma is really an appropriate word here), is a $99 one not $50. Always look at choices in terms of costs not savings.

I think what you are missing is telling us that the upgrade is practically worthless to you yet you are still thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    May I suggest that your "dilemma" (I don't think dilemma is really an appropriate word here), is a $99 one not $50. Always look at choices in terms of costs not savings.

I think what you are missing is telling us that the upgrade is practically worthless to you yet you are still thinking about it.
    Nice insight. Had there been anything in the March release that would improve my day then I would have renewed.

I should really have said "Always look at choices in terms of costs and benefits, not price reductions."

The truth is we all (me included) look at things we'd like to buy and try and find reasons why we should buy them and a forum of like-minded people is always a good place for affirmation of a choice!

You had some good alternatives, and not taking up an offer can also be a great alternative.

The worse thing is spending money then realising you just didn't need X,Y or Z and the money that you now don't have would have been better used somewhere else or kept for another time.

I am as guilty as anyone of buying stuff I regret buying later.

Hopefully Rob-Xar will be making offers you can't refuse (because they include new functionality you need at a good price)!

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    ... Hopefully Rob-Xar will be making offers you can't refuse (because they include new functionality you need at a good price)!
    Indeed, very happy news.