Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink The No Frill No Fill Challenge

Here is the Challenge: NoFill Challenge.xar

Delete all the Shapes without a Colour Fill as efficiently as possible.

You need to describe your method and Xara product used as not everyone has access to the Name Gallery.
    Does it scale?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: The No Frill No Fill Challenge

My method in XDP+ but without using the Name Gallery. Don't follow the Does it scale question?

Sneaky though
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    My method in XDP+ but without using the Name Gallery. Don't follow the Does it scale question?
    Sneaky though
    Thanks Egg.

By 'scale', I meant double the number of objects.
    Does you method still work? Double until you think enough is enough.

Your approach is potentially destructive are you zapping the Line widths.
    Had each been different, it might be too difficult to recover them all.

Changing the background is a great first step.
    At that point, as you say, just hold the Shift key down and select each filled shape.
    Cut these, delete the remainder and Paste in Place to recover the filled one.

A further belt-and-braces step I would take is create any old shape off page and eye-drop the page background as its fill.
    When finished, eye-drop back this fill into the Page Background and delete the shape.
    I could have set the RGB to (255, 254, 255)!

You do get an extra plus as you uncovered my hidden sneak.
    Another plus for not using the Page & Layer gallery and a final one shunning the Name Gallery.

The point of the exercise is @Xara has discounted a No Fill as not being a Used colour so you can never collectively locate any shapes with no fill.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 03 June 2021 at 08:12 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The circle with the pink outline was not filled and had no outline.

Select one circle, then press Tab repeatedly to select the random created circles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	challenge met.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	129766  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The circle with the pink outline was not filled and had no outline.
    Select one circle, then press Tab repeatedly to select the random created circles.
    Thank you too Gary but I do not understand what your method is or what you are doing.

There was no unfilled circle that did not have a Line width.

If you are suggesting with the Selector Tool press Tab and then perform some action based on Fill/No Fill, I might get it.
    Unfortunately, any such tabbing with an action results in the next Tab going back to the top.

Acorn

any such tabbing with an action results in the next Tab going back to the top
    If I understand this correctly, then have you tried this method? Tabbing will cycle through all the shapes on the page. In the order the images are stacked. So, where you start determines the order of the tabbing.

But I'm slow. I see what you are saying.

In Pro+ you have stacked the filled rounded rectangles (why not use circles?) on the bottom in the Page & Layer Gallery. Once this is determined, then select all the bottom layers and delete them in one action.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If I understand this correctly, then have you tried this method? Tabbing will cycle through all the shapes on the page. In the order the images are stacked. So, where you start determines the order of the tabbing.
    But I'm slow. I see what you are saying.
    In Pro+ you have stacked the filled rounded rectangles (why not use circles?) on the bottom in the Page & Layer Gallery. Once this is determined, then select all the bottom layers and delete them in one action.
    Gary, I have tried.

Tab and delete and the object vanishes so Xara has no reference position so the next Tab jumps back to the top.
    Tab and Move Shape to Next Layer - focus is now in that layer.
    Tab into a Shadow Group and you flip there forever.
    You can Tab and Paste Attributes or click the Colour bar and the Tab-cycle is not broken.

Acorn

Info Re: The No Frill No Fill Challenge

My solution is as follows:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoFrillFills.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	129777

• Select All
    • Apply Wall Shadow (optionally, with No Transparency or Blur & (1, 1) Profile)
    • Shift+Select all without a solid black inner and Delete
    • Remove Wall Shadow
    • (If is quicker to Shift+Select the solid shapes then Cut then delete all remaining and finally Paste in Place)

I did it this way as you only are changing a Shadow not original attributes of (Fill, Transparency, Line width, position) are then affected.

The one thing you cannot easily find is a No Fill, No Line shape: Outline View Quality does highlight it.
    And yes, such a shape can have a shadow.

The challenge is still open as my approach does work but is tedious if faced with hundreds of no fill shapes.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 04 June 2021 at 03:12 PM.

Thank you Acorn, this is finally one I can understand.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

good challenge - I would use the galleries though, but I see the rational for not here
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...