Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: MS Edge Glitch

Default MS Edge Glitch

Anyone else noticed this?

I have a custom start page for my browsers and Duck Duck Go (stupid name) for my default search engine. Yestreday Edge threw a popup asking me to go back to Bing. I politely declined by stabbing the 'No' button with the force of a hydraulic hammer and carried on. Next time I fire up Edge my start page is the New Tab page, off I go into settings and after an hour or so came up with the following observations:

Menu > Settings > On Start Up (change to Open Specific Page and choose whatever) - it works, you get the page of your choice.
    Menu > Settings > Privacy, Search and Services (scroll to the bottom and change from Bing to one of the others) - start up page now New Tab even though the Specific Page setting is selected.

I'm quietly loading Firefox whilst distracting Edge by writing 'shopping' into Bing search.
    Last edited by Chris M; 29 May 2021 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: MS Edge Glitch

LOL. Apparently stabbing Edge's no button with full force is a no-no. Be careful. I'm sure you remember H.A.L. 9000's reaction to trying to shut him down.

Check out this link - explains what happened.. mine is doing the same thing - hopefully a patch (or another update) will fix it.

Edge 91.0.864.37: "Specific Page" won’t load at startup | Born's Tech and Windows World (borncity.com)
    Glenn

Don't know how, but suddenly that same version started working again - brings up my home page on startup. Go figure.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glenngosack View Post
    Don't know how, but suddenly that same version started working again - brings up my home page on startup. Go figure.
    Ha, yes I'm working again too. Custom start up page and Duck Duck as search engine. What shall we pick at next?

Well, the next thing in the MS shenanigans is the Weather Bar which magically appeared on the task bar. MS deviated from the usual right click > close/exit, but not too hard to get rid of. However, the exact same bar now appears on the New Tab page of Edge and takes a a few more hoops to jump through before being banished.

On the New Tab page click the Gear Wheel Icon > Custom > Show Greeting (switch it off)
    But what if you don't have Show Greeting option? Well, You have to be signed in to Edge by clicking the familiar Account Icon and the highly visible blue Sign In button. Then you can repeat the above and you now have Show Greeting.
    To sign out: Account Icon > Manage Profile Settings > Sign Out > Sign Out

thanks for reminding me to audit my edge settings after the latest relaunch [don' use it much myself]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...