Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Trying to understand how SVG's use up Power Usage.

I agree with that Paul. The only problem is you can't morph between images and as you stated earlier bitmaps aren't scaleable without image loss.
    I'll see if I can create an animated gif. My software hasn't got this option but I can do it in Xara.
    I'll also do it without the morphing.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

with the right software you can do all the morphing etc in vector and then composite out in non-vector format; subject to resolution you would be hard pressed to tell the difference

but if the final animation has a wide range of playback sizes then that can be an issue obviously

more important things to worry about in a browser, yes; firefox is a resource heavy beast, for a start the way it sandboxes tabs as I recall
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here's a screen gab MP4. it's 10 seconds long & 2Mb in size.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The trick is to loop very short sequences and you can get by with low frame rates too.

The flags animation is very effective.

speed it up a bit and set to ragtime.. I love a foxtrot...
    Nothing lasts forever...

That was very interesting, and just the case you are interested in this information:
    My CPU is much more up to date than my GPU.
    For your first link (containig 4 rows of flags) my CPU, GPU and power usage (according to the task manager) in Firfox was:
    - in an akitve TAB about 1.9% CPU (1.8 to 2.0) and 13.6% GPU (13.4 to 13.8) and power consumption medium to high
    - in an inactive TAB 0.1% CPU (0.0 to 0.2) and 0.2% GPU (0.0 to 0.4) and power consumption very low
    when hardware acceleration was enabled.

And:
    - in an akitve TAB about 1% CPU (0.9 to 1.1) and 0% GPU and power consumption low to medium
    - in aninactive TAB 0% CPU (rarely at 0.1%) and 0% GPU and power consumption very low
    when hardware acceleration was disabled.
    In both cases (hardware acceleration on or off) the animation was absolutely smooth.

Info Re: Trying to understand how SVG's use up Power Usage.

I had a go at converting some SVG traingle shapes to CSS clip-path.

Currently clip-path: path() is not implemented on all browsers and I had to revert to using changing the SVGs themselves to holding the clip-path.
    This works but you lose the morphing aspect that clip-path: path() would allow.

The way to fix this is to use more frames in the keyframes definition.

Please do not compare Egg's fine flags to mine.
    I was only doing this to test for CPU /GPU consumption.

What is interesting on my PC, Egg's flags GPU use is 3.3MB @30fps.
    My test is almost double both values: (6.6MB @59.4fps).
    I had 25 flags (Egg 16) but only three frames (Egg 5) and two speeds (Egg 3), which were twice as fast as Egg's.

Average CPU usage for the browser is a lowly 0.27%.

CSS - Flags.xar - each Placeholder (flag) has a Name of htmlclass="svg-triangle" or "svg-trianglealt".
    The CSS animation for each classname does the rest.

Acorn

HTML code (head):

<svg width="0" height="0">
    <defs>
    <clipPath id="tri01">
    <path d="M 0 0.393 L 160.173 0 L 72.806 225.108 L 0 0.393 Z"></path>
    </clipPath>
    </defs>
    </svg>

<defs>
    <clipPath id="tri02">
    <path d="M 0 0.393 L 160.13 0 C 150.974 -1.056 113.946 234.842 140.948 237.958 C 134.651 272.306 -9.671 53.145 0 0.393 Z"></path>
    </clipPath>
    </defs>
    </svg>

<defs>
    <clipPath id="tri03">
    <path d="M 0 0.393 L 160.13 0 C 150.974 -1.056 123.053 70.33 47.51 197.285 C 31.208 28.818 -11.188 50.112 0 0.393 Z"></path>
    </clipPath>
    </defs>
    </svg>

<style>
    .svg-triangle {
    animation: wave 2.3s ease-in-out infinite;
    clip-path: url(#tri01);
    }

@keyframes wave {
    0% { clip-path: url(#tri01); }
    50% { clip-path: url(#tri02); }
    75% { clip-path: url(#tri01); }
    100% { clip-path: url(#tri03); }
    }

.svg-trianglealt {
    animation: wavealt 1.9s ease-out infinite;
    animation-delay: 0.3s;
    clip-path: url(#tri02);
    }

@keyframes wavealt {
    0% { clip-path: url(#tri03); }
    25% { clip-path: url(#tri01); }
    50% { clip-path: url(#tri02); }
    100% { clip-path: url(#tri01); }
    }
    </style>
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Okay, this is turning into an informative thread

Just for HD I've set it to as fast a ragtime as I can. Link below.

Strangely this doesn't seem to greatly increase the CPU GPU usage. EDIT: The speed-up doesn't change the cpu/gpu usage a great deal. Changing the view to' Scale to Fit' does increase cpu/gpu usage but this would be expected.

@ Paul: Yes I can see your point. I'm not into videos in any big way so I wouldn't know how to set up a looping MP4. I'd also need to work out the total length of the 3 svg files to determine the length to have a smooth looping video. This is Gary's expertise.

@ Siran: Cheers. I don't know about hardware acceleration so I'll look that up.

@ Acorn: You're the master of CSS! As you know I'm a visual person and you're the coder. An interesting alternative.

LINK
    Egg

Just for HD I've set it to as fast a ragtime as I can
    that... is a black bottom

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_iA57YoEoI
    Nothing lasts forever...

Egg,

Here's your animation as an MP4 that loops - it's about 30 secs for each loop to accommodate the added sound track. https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/flags/. I just did the same screen capture as you with output format as MP4, added the sound track thereafter. Autoplay with audio without muted does not work for most browsers, but you could build a starting sequence that has the visitor initiate autoplay.

You could covert animated SVGs to MP4s and you can combine the MP4s into a single MP4; synching it all would take some effort though.

Don't think practically you would have loop with audio, but it could be used as an intro that stops and remains in the background, or flies away to reveal something else.

Gary