Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Link to XDP Manual

@Acorn: I seem to remember that you developed a way to open the XDP manual from within XDP but I can't find the respective thread. Is this just wishful thinking or did you actually find a way to do this?

Default Re: Link to XDP Manual

Boy, it was https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...l-work-for-you.
    Obviously, it uses a different path for v17/v18.

For those with Xara Pro+, no need to worry. Xara has removed the program link under Help altogether.

@Xara: you have failed to provide an updated manual for about a year. There was also chatter about a new approach.
    An on-line link might be a start. Few use or understand the F1-context links to the CHM file you have embedded all through the program.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, that was the thread. Thanks, Acorn. More convenient to startup a local version, although I will have to update the manual when new program updates so warrant. So, those who want to use this workaround might want to copy the original Product_eng.cfg file or copy the manual's online address for later updates.

Actually, I should have taken that advice myself....

By the way, using XDP 18, the Product_eng.cfg file is now located in the main folder (C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\18).

uh am I missing something here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	129668

The help file is also included in the installation directory within the folder HelpAndSupport/ENG which you can open outside of Xara also.

We're talking about the manual, Rob, not the help file.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    We're talking about the manual, Rob, not the help file.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	129671

So, we're talking about the manual AND the help file. :-)

The manual is not included in the HelpAndSupport/ENG, at least not in the XDP 16 - 18. As Acorn points out in the linked thread, it's online and needs to be downloaded each time you click 'PDF Manual'.

I think I had my say in the thread acorn linked

but can you not just download the online PDF manual and access it locally through windows; nothing sacred about the internal help menu....?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nothing sacred about it indeed. However, you need to first go to where the file or the link to it is located, so being able to access it from within an XDA is faster and more convenient.

"Nothing sacred" until you hit it for the umpteenth time to get a wasteful download link.

@Rob-Xar: the detail is all in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...l-work-for-you.
    An up-to-date PDF in a suitable location with a link to it in the configuration file; Magix doesn't see the issue either.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat