Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wowslider new user quick question

Hello everyone,

After trying wowslider out and experimenting with it for a while I decided that it wasn't too much trouble to use it with my Web Designer Premium 18 so purchased the proper registered version of wowslider with some good discount.

I use the placeholder method and copy the HEAD and BODY code in.

Just a question for the Wowslider users on here ...........

Is it possible to put a wowslider on a page and have text or anything in front of it? Like the xara widgets allow.

I have tried moving the placeholder to the 'back' and some small text over (brought to the front) it but the text (or a tiny photo) doesn't seem to appear no matter how I play about with the layers. If it isn't an option and doesn't work then it's not a problem but rather than fiddle with it for longer I thought I'd ask the community and if I'm wasting my time I can turn my attention fully to the telly instead

Default Re: Wowslider new user quick question

Not that I am aware of. But there might be a script you can add. Check back and maybe someone will have a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Not that I am aware of. But there might be a script you can add. Check back and maybe someone will have a solution.
    Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

There is a way to use the wowslider as a pagebackground https://wowslider.com/help/slider-ba...d-page-49.html but I was hoping there might be a Xara way around putting it to the back rather than altering the code or adding a ws-bg.css file etc.

Lightbulb Re: Wowslider new user quick question

ukDalek, without firing up WOWSlider, the problem is probably one where the assumption was a slider always had to be on top.

If you have a web link, I could check what will allow captions.

It will be CSS coding like:
    Code:
    <style>
    .caption {
      z-index: 99;
    }
    </style>
    You could try making the caption Sticky.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn.

I haven't published it, it's just on local hard drive so I haven't got a weblink.

Do you want to see the contents of a .css file? I can find those files in the wowslider engine folder and paste into here. OR would it be a .js file?

Within the Engine folder you will see a file "style.css"

1. Where you have more than one WOW slider, each will have a different ID which you will have selected on export (e.g. Engine1, Engine2 ).
    2. Where too you want to use the WOW slider in a variant, it must have a different ID, and each will have its own Engine.

Use a text editor to open the style.css file and look for a similar CSS to that below: In your CSS you will see z-index: 0; Change this to z-index: -1;

HTML Code:
    #wowslider-container1 { 
    	display: table;
    	zoom: 1; 
    	position: relative;
    	width: 100%;
    	max-width: 100%;
    	max-height:200px;
    	margin:0px auto 0px;
    	z-index:-1;
    	text-align:left; /* reset align=center */
    	font-size: 10px;
    	text-shadow: none; /* fix some user styles */

/* reset box-sizing (to boostrap friendly) */
    	-webkit-box-sizing: content-box;
    	-moz-box-sizing: content-box;
    	box-sizing: content-box; 
    }
    Here is an example https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/WOW/

Note that by moving the slider backwards, you will lose its touch-swipe capability, but for full-width sliders that is probably not an issue. But you can now add text or any other objects as overlays on that slider.

Word of caution! this may not work when you add WOW navigation controls to a slider (WOW use other z-index parameters). And no guarantees this will work in all cases.

Personally, I have stopped using WOW because there are much better ways of doing this (example in the WOW link above).

Gary

gwpriester, Acorn and Initiostar

Thanks all for taking time to reply. Much appreciated.

Initiostar, thanks for the style.css code. That works fine but with the limitation and swipe trade off you mention but in this instance serves it's purpose for me without it.

So, once again, thanks for the guiding hands folks.

Best wishes,
    Ian

In reference to Wowsliders and some other widgets, do I have to purchase them to use them Xaradesigner Pro? I've found a wowslider template I liked in xbuilder and have modified it for a non-profit website. However, the one thing I haven't done is the part where the guide says to modify the picture ID's in the Html code. This is where I was a bit confused when I pulled up the web properties- HTML code for the page.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-01 (2).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	129958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	129959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-01 (1).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	129960

Also, I'm sure I'm going to have a similar issue when I want to make sliding text panels on one of the childrens page

In your example, the WOW slider has been embedded in the Xara design. You can identify the location of the images (from the 'src' source) and replace them. Then edit the code (as indicated) with the file names of your replacement images. You don't need the WOW slider app to do this.

There are too, relatively simple ways to replicate most WOW functionality with a pure Xara 'supersite' slider | https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/zNivo/ | https://initiostar.co.uk/intro#xl_xr_page_intro

WRT
    Also, I'm sure I'm going to have a similar issue when I want to make sliding text panels on one of the children's page
    I can see you have raised a separate thread: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...s-to-a-webpage

Gary

any reason why the graphics aren't loading right in the embedded wow slider.. Here is the test.http://test.net-runners.com/ThinkFirstTEST/index.htm

The wow slider images
    http://test.net-runners.com/thinkfirsttest.webp