Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro+ Update 21.2.0.62177

egg - xara is uncompressing the webp into the gallery and like acorn said it has always uncompressed images; it does that for png and jpeg; it does it so you are editing an uncompressed file, that surely is how it should be....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    However if I open a new page and import jpg.jpg it reports a file size of 143Kb which I'd expect.
    not seeing this egg - maybe I am misunderstanding, but just tried this and the bitmap gallery shows the uncompressed size, as it does with the webp; and like I said in previous post its as it should be, I would not want edits to be made on the compressed version

as far as better converted to jpg; maybe xara is not yet convinced webp has replaced them...? I have it switched out anyway
    Nothing lasts forever...

... it has always uncompressed images; it does that for png and jpeg;
    Not on my machine. If I import a jpg the Bitmap Gallery reports it as such.
    It doesn't do this for .png's which it reports as a Standard Bitmap.
    The same is true for imported webp images. Standard Bitmap.

So I have two questions
    1: Why are .png & .webp images not imported as such? .jpg's are.
    2: Why is Xara recommending converting smaller .webp images to .jpg?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

From the help menu:

Automatic conversion to JPEG
    The JPEG image format is usually the best choice for photo images, because it maintains high quality with smaller file sizes. So when you import non-JPEG photo files, Xara Designer Pro+ will examine the image to see if it would be more appropriate as a JPEG. If so, a prompt is shown giving you the option to convert it to JPEG on import. This reduces the size of your document files and reduces memory usage when editing.
    Which with the inclusion of webp is no longer normally valid?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I didn't say anything about it's label [name] in the bitmap gallery egg - i was taliking about it's size, and the jpeg size is uncompresed, just like png and webp, that was my point in answer to:

However if I open a new page and import jpg.jpg it reports a file size of 143Kb which I'd expect.
    But when I import webp.webp I'm informed it would be better imported as a jpg, which I ignore. The Bitmap gallery reports it as 7Mb !!!
    when I re-import a jpeg [that I saved compressed] it gets imported uncompressed; they all do

I see no sense in converting jpeg to webp as I've said; xara may not have got round to looking at this aspect, or they may just think most of their clients will still prefer to work in jpeg format
    Nothing lasts forever...