Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Editing psd files

Hi there,
    I wondered whether it is possible to edit psd files in XPGD? I have Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 17.1.0.60742 .
    I have also seen tutorials on Affinity Photo and editing mock-ups with Smart Objects and wondered whether these could be utilised within Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 17.1.0.60742?
    Thanks
    Andy

Default Re: Editing psd files

Andy, PSD Import/Export is part of XPGD: https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/.
    Why have you not tried it/ That's gives an immediate answer.
    Ditto SmartShapes.

I assume "Smart Objects" is part of AP?
    If so their export surly can only be as vector shapes at best.
    They could be selected and manipulated but as dumb shapes.
    If exported as images, you should probably keep a master in AP if you intend to make changes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

xara PSD functions are very limited compared to affinity/photoshop - no clipping or effects layers are imported, and smart objects will not be recognised
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Acorn,
    Thanks for your contribution. I could see that psd files could be imported but wasn't sure to what extent other features of psd files could be utilised. I downloaded a few images from Freepik to play with but wasn't sure whether "Smart Objects" was supported. I had earlier watched a friend use Adobe Photoshop on one of his tutorials and he mentioned that Affinity Photo could be used too. I'll play a little more and see if I can work something out, or may try Affinity as it is on 50% offer at the moment.

Thanks for this handrawn I felt there might be some proprietary limitations perhaps. It's all to do with editing images from something like Envato Elements.
    Last edited by AndyD; 17 May 2021 at 07:13 PM.

the non preservation of clipping for example is down to xara layers working in avery different way to photoshop

in affinity you have photo that is raster and designer that is vector - that enables it to work in tandem like photoshop and illustrator - xara is just the one program which cannot do it all [put simply]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...