Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How do I install fonts on Xara P&GD 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    Ah, I found it. I didn't realize there is a second fonts directory in Xara P&GD 15 where you have to select the font to install it into the program.
    this is the bit I and gary, and keith, don't follow - which second fonts directory, what is the path ? what exactly did you do ?

if it's installed in windows it's picked up by the text tool dropdown - that is how the program works
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

in the font gallery the top folder 'imstalled fonts' also includes every font installled in windows....

if you want to catalogue them seperately in the gallery then I guess you can, but that is not 'installing them into the program', that is not how it works
    Nothing lasts forever...

NEXT QUESTION: Do you use a font viewer I like AMP myself unlike any others I have tried it shows some types the others do not.

http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    this is the bit I and gary, and keith, don't follow - which second fonts directory, what is the path ? what exactly did you do ?

if it's installed in windows it's picked up by the text tool dropdown - that is how the program works
    That's apparently not how P&GD 15 works. First there is the drop down menu that shows what type the currently selected font is, that drop down menu doesn't even have half the fonts on my PC. Then there is the font gallery pull out menu on the right side of the screen, I click on get fonts and that is where all the fonts on my computer are actually listed. So no, they aren't installed in the program just yet.
    Last edited by Madmax; 17 May 2021 at 05:20 PM.

here is version 15 help on the subject of font gallery:

The Fonts Gallery

The Fonts Gallery serves a number of useful purposes:
    •It's an easy way to preview the style of all fonts on your system.
    •It lists all the fonts included on the Xara Designer Pro X CD (whether or not they are installed).
    •You can install fonts from the CD (or hard disk), or un-install fonts
    •You can apply fonts by drag-and-drop

To display the Fonts Gallery click its tab in the galleries bar to the right of the Designer Pro window. Or you can toggle display of the Fonts Gallery by choosing Utilities > Galleries > Fonts Gallery or pressing "Shift + F9".

The fonts are grouped into several categories:
    •At the top are fonts installed on the computer (i.e. all the fonts in your Windows/Fonts folder).
    •Next are all fonts (installed or available on the Designer Pro CD) grouped by appearance (for example: script, decorative, sans serif)
    •Last is a complete alphabetical list of all fonts, installed or ready to install.

The Document handling chapter has general information about galleries.

Applying a font from the Fonts Gallery

This is an alternative to using the Text Tool InfoBar. You can either:
    •Select the font in the gallery and click Apply to apply to the selected text object, or double click a font
    •Or drag & drop the font name onto any text (selected or not). The pointer changes shape when in position.

If you apply a font that is not installed it asks if you want the font installed.

Installing or uninstalling a font

The first part of the gallery shows fonts already installed. Remaining sections show fonts on the CD (either from the CD or from the hard disc made at install time).
    1.Click on a font name to select it. You can select additional fonts by either "+ clicking" to select a group or "Ctrl + clicking" to add an individual font to the selection.
    2.Click Install or the Uninstall button on the top of the gallery. Alternatively if you apply an uninstalled font this automatically installs it.

You can also click Get Fonts to download a selection of fonts, but this is only useful if you haven't installed the fonts from the Designer Pro CD.

Fonts from other suppliers can also be installed using the Windows Control Panel (described in the Windows Help and Support section of Windows).

Note that to install fonts from the Font Gallery Xara Designer Pro X must be running with Administrator privileges.
    your issue may be the very last line

either way the fonts are installed into windows, and only listed in xara.. you may think that pedantic but it is so

EDIT: and if your fonts are in the necessary format always do the installation manually as in the penultimate line of the help - the xara installation process is for installing xara supplied fonts from CD[depricated]/download

like keith said, if that does not work it is strange; of course not all fonts will be suitable for use with xara, but for large numbers to be missing from the 'all fonts' section of the text tool dropdown is puzzling

so try running xara as administrator and see if that fixes it, can't really suggest anything else
    Nothing lasts forever...

There's obviously something very bizarre going on, I've never had that happen. The text infobar and the Font gallery (as far as I can remember) have always shown all the same fonts.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Not sure but also note my version is out of date for update service. That also means I do not have access to anything online through the program.

When you are in the text tool and select the drop down menu for fonts, do you get a box that list the web safe fonts, then a box below that that lists the Google fonts, and then a box below that lists all fonts installed?

This is the same on all the Designer Pro and P&GD.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    When you are in the text tool and select the drop down menu for fonts, do you get a box that list the web safe fonts, then a box below that that lists the Google fonts, and then a box below that lists all fonts installed?

This is the same on all the Designer Pro and P&GD.

Ray
    Yes, I have all that. But it still doesn't show all the fonts installed on my PC. To get them I have to follow the procedure I outlined above.

I just looked in XP&GD v11because I no longer have v15 installed and all my installed fonts show there however I had to register it for xar and web files before they would show, could this be your problem, perhaps.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.