Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Latest Jquery Breaks Widget - Best Alternative?

The latest Jquery version breaks the "simple thumbnail gallery" widget on a site I manage... [ working-test-site-link ]. The widget simply disappears with the updated jquery.

What are the best alternatives for similar functionality on website that will survive the occasional Jquery update?

(Does not have to be another widget; I am open to coding alternatives in a placeholder.)

Thanks for for your coming suggestions,
    -Tom

Default Re: Latest Jquery Breaks Widget - Best Alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcadman View Post
    The latest Jquery version breaks the "simple thumbnail gallery" widget on a site I manage... [ working-test-site-link ]. The widget simply disappears with the updated jquery.
    What are the best alternatives for similar functionality on website that will survive the occasional Jquery update?
    (Does not have to be another widget; I am open to coding alternatives in a placeholder.)
    Thanks for for your coming suggestions,
    -Tom
    Tom, the link you supplied is still using jQuery v1.11.1 so are you saying this presentation is working?
    Might it be the jQuery Plugins that are failing you as well?

Also it would be useful to know which Xara gallery widget is involved.

I am guessing it is the Gallery (3 Column) Widget, which is an abomination; it is cleaner, quicker and safer to make a small picture frame thumbnail, add in HighSlide for the image alone and clone it for all your pictures.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Sorry for being unclear... non-working-site-link with updated Jquery.

(Working site link above had XARA supplied jQuery v1.11.1 version. Also, when I opened the widget in XDPX, it was entitled "Simple Thumbnail Gallery".)

Going forward, I will use your suggestion...

Thanks!
    -Tom

Tom. These widgets have been reported a number of times to @robxara. Obviously still not fixed. Unfortunate, but apparently on their list. I’ve got a couple that caught me. For non coders, ungroup everything and do an image pop up for each image. You can shift/click for all images and each will pop up separately.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Okay... I converted to non-widget gallery... now how do I setup a scrolling window for the gallery of photos? (The client wants me to add more photos as new products are painted, so this gallery could get kind of long.)

Latest Link

Thanks,
    -Tom

Okay... I converted to non-widget gallery... now how do I setup a scrolling window for the gallery of photos? (The client wants me to add more photos as new products are painted, so this gallery could get kind of long.)

Latest Link

Thanks,
    -Tom
    Tom, you make a separate Gallery page of just the images. On the main page, you add in an IFRAME to the Gallery.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Okay... I have it in an iframe version... however, they will want to be able to swipe the gallery photos on the handheld variants...

Can you point me in the right direction for such functionality in a responsive photo gallery?

Thanks for your help,
    -Tom

I remember a while back we had several Acorn-initiated conversations about creating galleries using the Highslide functionality - Here is one of the basic examples I created at that time: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Photo-Template/

This example transitions with Scale-to-fit-Width from three columns to two columns for a mobile format; changing the photo on the desktop variant auto-changes it in the mobile format. Xara Photo Template Grid.xar

It works with jQuery 3.6.0

Gary

Okay... I have it in an iframe version... however, they will want to be able to swipe the gallery photos on the handheld variants...
    Can you point me in the right direction for such functionality in a responsive photo gallery?
    Thanks for your help,
    -Tom
    For a handheld, you would just stack the images in a long page.
    Otherwise, make the IFRAME thinner and in the Gallery Variant just stack them there.

What do you mean by "swipe"? Touch to open the bigger picture?

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    I remember a while back we had several Acorn-initiated conversations about creating galleries using the Highslide functionality - Here is one of the basic examples I created at that time: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Photo-Template/
    This example transitions with Scale-to-fit-Width from three columns to two columns for a mobile format; changing the photo on the desktop variant auto-changes it in the mobile format. Xara Photo Template Grid.xar
    It works with jQuery 3.6.0
    Gary
    Gary, the issue is the height of the presentation.

Were it not for the changing orientations, I would has a number of small thumbs on the side that when clicked would replace the central image with a large view of the clicked thumb; one of my one-click wonders, which I am sure I did quite recently...

Acorn