Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing

Default Re: Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    The Kyocera printer default is A4 (it only has A5 or A4 papers), Xara Photo and Graphic Print Set Up is Letter, if I print an A4 document it prints correctly so what does the set up do as it appears to be ignored by the printer.
    Peter
    I'm not sure what you expect a printer to do if you ask it to use a paper size it cannot support. Letter (216x279) is wider than A4 (210x279). Sometimes printers can fit content to paper size through scaling.

https://www.swiftpublisher.com/usefu...mats-explained

I would change your document sizes to use A4 or A5 rather than an American paper size.

If I'm reading this correctly, you WANT to print A4, but Xara sets it to letter because you have Xara's page set to letter, and you're wondering why you have to reset the printer to A4 every time, as other applications print fine?

If that is the case then isn't the issue that you have Xara set to letter?

Try setting an A4 document size as the default template and see if that makes a difference.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

what I thought... except if I open a US letter document - it is set to print at A4 just like my A4 templates... xara is taking it's cue from the printer set up

so as far as your office printer is concerned is it a shared printer on network ?

if not then in xara go to file menu > print > printer > properties and see if it is set to A4, if not then set it

if it is, then it is a question for your office IT as you may not have user permission on the system to do this
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Xara Photo and Graphic Print Set Up is Letter
    Why have you got XPG set to Letter Peter? Why not set the template to A4. Letter is only a Stateside paper size AFAIK.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I have not set the XPG to letter, I have to set the Templates up every time an update occurs Metric, Units, A4 etc.

I have no problems with my home Designer Pro which I have been using for decades - since Artwork on BBC.

The document and Templates set to A4 but Properties Print set up is Letter, I have to change it every time I want to print an A4 or A5 document.

The default printer setting is also A4, it is a network printer I am the only one using this SW and computer

We do not have an IT person in the Men's shed it is nothing to do with the printer, I would have thought that Print Properties to A4 is a XPG setting. it would not know what the actual printer default is.
    Peter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

when you go to print printer properties in xara you are actually changing a setting on the printer

go into your printer software from windows and check if the default profile is set to US (you could do this from xara, it should be the same interface, but from windows should make sure you have access to everything)

it sounds like it is and each time you print from xara you only tell the printer to print A4 this one time

it is possible your printer software holds default profiles on a program by program basis which is maybe why word is ok
    Nothing lasts forever...

To expand on handrawn's post. The Windows route to your printer is:

Start Button > Settings > Devices > Printer & Scanners (left panel) > click the name of your printer (right panel) > Manage > Printing Preferences (left panel)

The next can/will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but, you will see a reference to paper size...make it A4.

you may need to make a new profile A4 and then set that as default - factory settings defaults are often locked if they cannot be reset
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, I will try to follow your advice