Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default option to force web page refresh

Occasionally have a visitor who seems to have their browser or ISP doing a cached page redisplay, not showing the most current pages on the site.
    That is, they visit the website and see the previous page content, not the updated content.

Have seen mention about possible coding in pages to help force an end-viewer's browser to refresh and load the site again fresh with each visit.
    Wondering about this option. Saw an old posting suggesting Xara add this as a option, but nothing more.

Wondering what others are doing to help force (encourage) the Visitor's browser to always download the current webpage, to avoid them seeing cached, past content ?
    - what coding are you using
    - where are you adding it
    - on each page or only the home page

Frolin

Default Re: option to force web page refresh

Frolin, it really depends on broowser caching, edge caching (c.f., Cloudflare) and frequency of updates.
    I suggest this Thread covers most positions: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...170#post628170.
    I have covered most strategies and made suggestions to Xara for yonks so search against me & caching.

During development, add a button to the page with link: javascript:location.reload(true);

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: option to force web page refresh

Acorn,

Thanks for the response, the code and the alternate thread.

Maybe I am reading to directly but when you say to add a button with the code, that reads like a 'button' a visitor would have to notice and manually press, to force their browser cache to clear and force a fresh page load. If so, that was not what I thought I had found in past, and or hoping to do.
    I did read the other thread, similar material, some discussion and debate on options.

In past I seem to recall reading about some coding that, was added to the page itself (ie: HTML Body), so when anyone visits the site/page, it would force a fresh load of the page to avoid showing outdated content.

Also thought, had read there was code that would include a 'value' that would cause the fresh load when valid. Like a version # as example, that if the cache did not match that #, it would only then trigger the reload.

These were automatic processes not requiring manual action by the Visitors (like pressing a button).

Also you did not say, if that code would need to be added to every sub-page on the side as well, not just the home page ? (guessing yes but want to verify)

Thanks in advance for replies and tips,
    Frolin

Note: I maintain a handful of event and hobby project sites. Often the home page only gets a "site last updated" change, where sub-pages get the changes, like additions of new Photo Album links, revised Clinic schedules, etc. So thus a Visitor that comes back to the site every few weeks is looking to see what's new, changes, and at times, occasionally, a person does not see the updates on pages, they just see the same (outdated) page from cache showing what they saw (downloaded) last month or two. Wanting to insure people always see the fresh updated pages.
    Last edited by Frolin; 02 May 2021 at 11:29 PM.