Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

That marketing deal with Corel did them no good. Corel held back the product. Now as that deals gone and Xara X is due out in Sept, I think things are back on track.

Xara is simply THE BEST vector drawing package on the market. However it's been held back by Corel and now it's beginning to look a little dated (but only a little [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ).

Let's hope X gets Xara back on to the serious graphics map!

You'll get no arguments from me.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

I'll be able to spleep much better when September comes around :-)

Does anybody know what the actual release date yet, or has there been no firm date set?

May Xara X be blessed upon us all!

Wod

It's not black and white. The software game has changed rules since the Corel deal was signed. Thanks to the Internet it's possible for a small company like Xara to make a go of it on its own. In 1995 you needed a big partner.

People are probably a bit too hard on Corel, as they are generally on Microsoft. Draw was dire and ripe for it but that's because it suffered from two disadvantages when it comes to being a great program - its roots were in the cramped 16bit world and it was so successful that they became complacent and didn't push the envelope of what was possible ... or even fix their damn bugs!

I unerstand your point, but my gripe is that Corel hid Xara from the public, and didn't publicise it in any way.

Problems such as European customers not being able to recive the CD, only the download, and that there hasn't been a new version since 1997 (a long time in this industry) are just a couple of gripes that I hold for the way in which Corel treted the Xara draw application. It deserved better than it got.

I do agree that back then it was probably neccessary to have strong marketing, but Corel didn't provide the answer. They DID NOT promote the product.

As for the much maligned Corel, Corel Draw was my favourite and trusted drawing package before I discovered the amazing power of Xara Studio. When they made this agreement with Xara I thought it was great, the superb software of Xara and the marketing power of Corel... wow, this product was going to fly. But as I have said, Corel hid the product away, did everything but deny it's existance and where has the deal got Xara... hardly any further forward than when they signed up with Corel (and no thanks to Corel).

Xara deserve to have the chance to promote Xara X in the way in which it should be... it's time to play a little bit of catch up (although CorelXara 2 still rules in many areas). Good luck to Xara, they need it after the way in which Corel treated them.

And that's my opinion [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

M Ward

In computer arts magazine (www.computerarts.co.uk)
    (july 2000) in the product list under "vector based packages" 3 best products where listed..
    illustrator,freehand,xara (with a 4/5 star rating i believe).. so xara is still in the top 3..
    If that magazine writes a good article on xara x,
    it will be a good markering step towards a lot of
    designers..
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    rico..

Are there more but three [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]